GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyways, its time for the Suburban to get new tires. After having a blowout on the free(pics in a few) we decided it was time. My question, what is the difference between a P and a LT rating? Our old tires were Michelin LTX A/T's that developed a balancing problem, so they rode pretty rough. Anyone have any suggestions on tires, particularly a set that are quiet.
Anyways, heres the pics of the blown tire :anitoof:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm guessing P = passenger LT = light truck. My dad runs Michelin LTX, not the A/t though, on his truck and we have never had a blowout with it (its 14 years old). I did find a really big wire sticking out of the side of one of them too :crazy:

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
The LT will have a higher load rating, and will generally ride a little rougher due to the stiffer sidewalls.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
yup the difference is the sidewall strength. personally, i would never put a P tire on a truck, but it will work fine since yall dont haul or tow with it

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, my truck had p265's on it, but i switched to lt's. The LTS M/S is a good tire, but I think we'll probably get the cross terrains. I'll ask at the tire place tomorrow...
Austin, would it be alright to run a p tire on a suburban?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
00Silverado said:
Austin, would it be alright to run a p tire on a suburban?
my mom's old expedition came stock with P tires and they worked fine, just sagged a lil more than LT tires :D

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff said:
my mom's old expedition came stock with P tires and they worked fine, just sagged a lil more than LT tires :D
Yeah I noticed that my truck rode a bit smoother on the freeway with my old firestones.... I'll post what we get when I get home :imo

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
You can run P rated tires on it. Look on the tire and it should have a load rating on it. It should also state how many pounds the tire should beable to carry.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Josh said:
just get a 6" lift and some Xterrains:read:
:mexsmoke: It'd be nice, but wouldnt work for 2 reasons... 1. No money and 2. Wouldn't fit in the garage :anitoof:
Does anybody have Bridgestone Dueler A/T's? We dont want to go with another set of LTX A/T's since ours had some problems, and the other tires they had werent the correct load rating(either P or load range E, we need a C)
Any input on the Bridgestones?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
i have bridgstone dueler A/ts on my truck from the factory. they are decent tires. rain traction is fine, cept when you gun it :naughty:

i recommend you check in to kelly safari AWR tires. they are very good tires for the price. good tread life and great traction on the road. I ran them on my 94 before the lift and my coworker has a set of 285s with prolly 20k on them and they look new

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grant said:
BFG AT's. :D
Hmm, I think we'll try our luck with the bridgestones... They have a 50k treadlife warranty, so if they dont last, I guess we'll get to bitch at Bridgestone, plus, they're like 128 a tire(cheap, my Michelins were like 160 something)

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
00Silverado said:
Hmm, I think we'll try our luck with the bridgestones... They have a 50k treadlife warranty, so if they dont last, I guess we'll get to bitch at Bridgestone, plus, they're like 128 a tire(cheap, my Michelins were like 160 something)
is it just me or is everyone forgetting the tire troubles from bridgestone/firestone from a few years ago? my truck came with bridgestone duelers as well, and personally i couldnt wait to get rid of them. they werent bad looking, or bad performing, i just didnt like theyre company. if it were me, id spend the extra few bucks and get michelins. they are more, but definantly worth the quality.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Firestone/Bridgestone did have a problem with their tires, but they were not fully responsible for that mis-hap, FORD was not inflating the tires properly as well.....They are good tires, and they are not the only tire company to have that happen, Cooper Tires, who make and own about 30 diffrent brands had the same problems with their tires. Here is the list of tires that got recalled by cooper:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/cooptire.html

Here is the details of the settlement: http://www.coopertirelitigation.com/

If you notice, most of Les Shwab Brand Tires are on the list and The Big O tires as well.
If you think about it, now that firestone/bridgestone had to fix the problems, they are probably the best tire on the road now..........

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Josh said:
is it just me or is everyone forgetting the tire troubles from bridgestone/firestone from a few years ago? my truck came with bridgestone duelers as well, and personally i couldnt wait to get rid of them. they werent bad looking, or bad performing, i just didnt like theyre company. if it were me, id spend the extra few bucks and get michelins. they are more, but definantly worth the quality.
Josh, I'm not forgetting the issues. But like I said, I need a 245/75 with a load range C. Bridgestone is the only one who offers that size, in that load rating. For some reason Michelin only offers it in an E rating, I guess because most trucks that have them are the HD Chevy's and I beliebe some Dodges too. My pos firestones got 37k out of them, and those last few thousand miles were pretty rough :evil:

·
GMFS founding member
4,014 Posts
LTX ATs in load range E ride like steel train wheels. their dry traction sucks and their offroad performance hardly qualifies them to be an all-terrain. the only advantage to these tires is they can take a ton of weight, more than a half ton or a suburban will (or should) ever see. combine them with a torsion bar crank and AALs and it's early back problems. i guess all those steel plies aren't all they're cracked up to be?

david, LTX M/S or cross terrains will make your burban very happy if you don't mind staying with the frenchies. cross terrains are the best tire i've ever driven on. P rating will be OK unless you plan on towing or hauling something heavy and need the sidewall stiffness.

*edit* also why do you need a 245?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.