GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out with a tire predicament. I was figuring to go with Les Schwab-installed tires because of the free rotate/balance/flat repair services they offer.

When I went into the store (Reno, NV), the guy steered me away from the Toyo MTs and to their proprietary Les Schwab Mud Terrain SXTs. He claimed the SXTs would ride quieter and last longer (mileage). His quoted out-the-door price was $1378 for 35x12.50R17s w/siping (and, I could stud them if I wanted). Ouch!

So here's the skinny -- my driving conditions are as follows. About 1 - 2 months out of the year (~30-60 days), I deal with snow/ice. Included in that time, I head to Colorado for hunting (conditions are snow/ice/mud/dirt/gravel) - but no crazy off-roading like bogging/rock crawling/etc. So, I'd like tires that aren't complete pansies in these conditions (snow/ice/mud/dirt/gravel). The rest of the year is spent in easy conditions, mainly dry (occasional rain) roads and highway/street miles.

Currently I've got 35x12.50R17 ProComp X-Terrain's and they are loud, wearing badly, extremely soft and running out of tread (~14k miles on them). So, I was hoping to get some input on these tires (Toyo MTs & Mud Terrain SXTs). If you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. But, I'd really like to get 40k miles out of this new set of tires. Is that a pipe dream? Anyway, I think the gist is I probably need an all-terrain type tire (for longevity/noise/etc) with some mud-terrain characteristics (winter/hunting conditions). Any input/advice you have to offer, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
he just wants to sell you those cause he probably makes a better profit off of them.
i have toyo m/t's and love them. i got them for around $1000 after taxes they ride great and wear good if your trucks not out of alignment (dammit). i would highly reccomend them.

fyi- almost any tire store will do free rotateing/balancing/flat repair. i know ntb and discount both do

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a mileage estimate for your Toyos (like what you have currently and what you expect to get before you have to replace them)? How is the noise level?

Sorry...what is NTB and Discount?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
http://www.ntb.com/
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

the 2 biggest tire chains here. they go by different names in other parts of the country.

i really don't know what kinda mileage i'll see. my pitman and idler arms both died on me recently and i didn't know till i noticed real bad tire wear. my alignment was real bad for a while, so 2 are at about 50% tread on the insides after only like 6 months. the 2 that were on the back show practically no wear though. i think you could get 40k if you take good care of them. i'm kickin myself in the butt for letting my brand new tires get fucked up.heres some pics:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86329

mine are 315/75/16 btw

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Look into Cooper Discoverer STT. They are really quiet and wear really good. I have 10k on mine and they still look new, really handle great offroad too.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If your X-terrains are almost bald after 14k miles, theres something wrong with your driving style or your truck. Tires do not wear that fast without some help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look into Cooper Discoverer STT. They are really quiet and wear really good. I have 10k on mine and they still look new, really handle great offroad too.
Yeah, I had another guy recommend these also -- he is very pleased with the performance. When I looked at the Cooper site, these were rated really well for tread wear and off-road capabilities...so these don't really sound like an all-terrain. But, maybe that's the point?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your X-terrains are almost bald after 14k miles, theres something wrong with your driving style or your truck. Tires do not wear that fast without some help.
It's not that they are almost bald (I'd guess 40-50% tread remaining overall)...but it doesn't look like they've ever been rotated. The outside of the tires are worn down a fair bit and the insides have more tread. When I bought the truck (recently), this is the condition the tires were in, so I'm unsure of the previous owners' driving style.

·
Formerly whitetrash
1,630 Posts
Curious...why do you endorse these? I read an article awhile back about them but it was an average review.
honestly, me and a buddy have had pretty good experience with mickey thompson tires, and their customer service is top notch.

No offense to anyone here, but i don't think the toyos are all that aggressive; also the toyos are getting almost TOO popular... everyone is running them. I also prefer mickeys because they tend to measure very wide for their size. Mine are smooth, reasonably quiet, and 2 of my 36x15.5R20s took less than 1 oz to balance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Any A/t is going to ride better and outlast a M/t tire. the tire he pointed you too isn't even in the same category. I think you could get away with running an A/t though with your driving description but I'm not sure I'd limit your choice to what he's wanting you to get. Toyo's a/t is a good tire, along with nitto tg's and I think they look to be more aggressive than what he's suggesting. But the toyo m/t is one of the better tires for a quiet, longer lasting mud tire on the market today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any A/t is going to ride better and outlast a M/t tire. the tire he pointed you too isn't even in the same category. I think you could get away with running an A/t though with your driving description but I'm not sure I'd limit your choice to what he's wanting you to get. Toyo's a/t is a good tire, along with nitto tg's and I think they look to be more aggressive than what he's suggesting. But the toyo m/t is one of the better tires for a quiet, longer lasting mud tire on the market today.
That's what I thought (A/T outlasting a M/T). I heard the Nittos are soft and wear really bad...

Comparing the Toyo M/T to the Cooper STTs, what are the pros/cons?

Does anyone have any other driving conditions similar to mine and tires that they are pleased with? :)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I would also suggest the Mickey Thompson MTZ, i have them in a 315/70/17 on my truck shipped to my door for $880. They are very agressive looking i think and they do great off road i am told, i have only had them for about 300 miles so i havent used them yet. But on the highway, very minimal wine, just enough to let you know you have a mud terrain and they ride great. long tread life althouhg the tread is a bit soft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts