GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ricky B
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright yall got a question for ya, I know my truck the 95 1500 Z71 has the 10 bolt rear and IFS front, and I know the rear axle and IFS are rated to handle 35's. My question is what are the 2500 IFS and 14 bolt rated to hold, and what is the 3500 IFS and whatever rear axle it runs rated to handle? Also are the HD's rated any stronger? Ultimatly this is leading to the question if i wanted to practicaly (I mean by taking it off road and it not snapping like a twig) run a 12-14 in suspension lift and 44 to 49 in tires with IFS would it be a good idea to replace my front end IFS with say a 2500 or 3500 or HD Front end? I know I would have to repalce alot of other things as well, I just thought it would be cool to have a practicle off road beast that kept IFS instead of converting to solid axle up front like everyone else. Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That'd be dumb :badidea:, go SFA...CV's are CV's, they suck and they snap, any CV will snap with a 44 or 49 on it plus there is no LSD or locker for Chevy IFS, first that should tell ya somethin, so to make Chevy IFS capable would be contradicting cause open diffs arent capable...its not worth it, plus all the bullshit you would have to go through...lets see...
salvaged IFS
all the hardware
alot of fabbing
new diff
new brakes
new CVs
new wheels
new gears
alot of patience
alot of $$
maybe you should do it to show everyone what kinda hell it would be...
No chevy is rated to handle anything bigger than a 265/75/16, depends on how you use it. Chevy IFS wasnt built for offroading, it was built for comfort and to get up slick boat ramps. :read:
:imo

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
the HD ifs cant handle 44s, not even close. 38s max if you offroad it and abuse it. IT ends up being more work and money converting to HD ifs than swapping in a SFA. the 2500 and 3500 ifs is essentially the same, and the 14 bolt is in both. Now the 14 bolt can handle 44s.....

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
:badidea: i'd straight axle before i did all that! i got 38's on my Z and damn! it's bad enough... :nono: :imo :rocking:

·
[>
3,255 Posts
The HD IFS is good up to about 38's IMO. And like DE has said. You will spend more time and money for not much more strength going to the HD IFS than you would just swaping out the IFS for a SFA.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Listen to thse guys. I got a 2500 with 23" IFS lift with 46"tires. It rides like shit. Can't steer too good. Roadwalks like big mutha. If I had to do it all over again, I would SAS it. It is just a trailer queen now. Occasionally, I'll crawl over some cars, but I definitely don't offroad with it. I wouldn't trust it that far. Walking sucks from the middle of nowhere. I once, and only once, powerbraked it. It spun the rears allright, until I blew out the diff. Not cheap, so I won't be doing that anymore. Hope this is some good advice. Good Luck...

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Sorry to post whore, but this is on the same topic..

Could a nbs street queen 1/2 ton ifs with a 10 bolt hold up with 40's? No burnouts, no hardcore offroading, like 99.99% street

·
Ricky B
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To answer Klemintines question, i dont really know weather or not it can. The basic consensus on the 1/2 ton like i said before is 35's for heavy offroad use. I did know a guy a few years ago who ran the 38 inch Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips when they first came out on a 1/2 ton, and he never had any problem although he only took it offroad like twice.

·
6,656 Posts
klemmentine said:
Sorry to post whore, but this is on the same topic..

Could a nbs street queen 1/2 ton ifs with a 10 bolt hold up with 40's? No burnouts, no hardcore offroading, like 99.99% street
sure, but i wouldn your still going to wear shit out very fast. 38s max even for a street queen IMO.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
ok, but i always assumed that the weight of the tires has more to do with wearing/breaking parts, compared to the actual height. For example... a heavy 38" parnelli jones tire would probably do more damage than a lighter 40" tire. Am I corrrect?

Wide rims or incorrect backspacing combined with a wide tire will also cause wear and tear.

Does anybody know how much a 38 or 40" super swamper weighs... in general. Because the 38" pj dirt grips weigh 102 lbs unmounted. The 36" pj's weigh 95 lbs. How does this compare to a swamper?

·
6,656 Posts
my 42s are well over 100 lbs unmounted, 40s are probably not much less. BTW no way is a 36 PJ that heavy, ive lifted them before.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Ok.. i found out that a 40" super swamper tsl weighs around 90 lbs. So am I correct by saying that a 102 lb. 38x15.50 R 16.5 pj dirt grip will cause just as much, if not more wear and tear compared to a 90lb 39.5x15 R16.5 super swamper tsl?

:imo weight makes a much bigger difference than the actual height.

9,808 Posts
georgiagiant4 said:
:badidea: i'd straight axle before i did all that! i got 38's on my Z and damn! it's bad enough... :nono: :imo :rocking:
How bad are those 38's on ur truck...i plan to eventually cepek on top of my bodylift and run 38's on my truck.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I would say that the height of the tire also has something to do with how fast you wear out parts, just by being tall. As you increase the height of the tire you increase the strength of the stresses that you put on the suspension, simply because a taller tire has more leverage than a shorter tire. :imo

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I don't think an inch or two either way would create that much more leverage. I think running a 12" or wider rim would cause a lot more wear and tear and would create a lot more leverage and put stress on the front end.

:imo I think 40's on 16x10's would hold up better than 37's or 38's on a 12" wide rim.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Either way, you get down to it, your shits gonna wear out, those 40's would be better on a wider rim so it leaves a flatter footprint therefore better wear on the tire. Think of the width of the tire too, thats more contact with the ground therefore causing more resistance and alot more leverage, especially on your front end. The wider tires are not a good combination with IFS if you think of the way it works... :read:

Personally, I dont see weight being a big factor in wear and tear. Yea the tires are heavy, but all that is gonna do is slow you down cause you got more weight to get movin. Wear on your vehicle is gonna be caused by wider tires causing leverage, taller tires changing your final gearing, negative offset of rims causing leverage, and most important, how you use your truck.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Well being that my truck only has 25,000 miles on it, and that my lift is relatively new, I think it will hold up ok. Like I said, if I treat it like a 2wd truck and keep up on maintenance and do the necessary upgrades later on (upper arm, tie rods, idler arm brace) it will be fine for daily driving. The only time I use 4wd is at pismo and in the snow.

I stay in 2wd as long as I can at pismo, until I get stuck. Then I use 4wd to crawl out. I'm not going to be jumping, racing up comp hill, or flying through the woops... just cruising up and down the beach and a trip or two back through sand highway to watch the festivities at comp.

When I'm in the snow, I hardly ever use 4wd, except for maybe in the parking lot where it's icy. That's about it. No tire spin or hardcore off roading.

I know nobody would recommend 40's, but with my style driving and the way I use my truck for pismo and the snow, I think it'll do ok. I already have 4.88's so that should keep me in the powerband, and keep my transmission running good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ran 38" TSL's on mine for a year and a half. Had it offroad many of times, but only in the mud. Only thing I broke was a tie rod end. A stump came from out of nowhere and hit my tie rod. :think:

Now I am running 40's and have been for about 5 months. Haven't had them offroad that much. Still haven't broke anything. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Cool man... what are the specs on your truck? What year? lift? Do you have any pics?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts