GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cant leave anything stock
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2004 Z71 Crew Cab back in March. The tires are pretty worn down and I'll need to order some tires here in a week or two. Currently I have 265/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler AT RH-S on it, and they seem decent.

I think I'd like to step up to a 285/70/17. Will I need to crank the torsion bars? I'm going to order a leveling kit later this summer but don't have a ton of money to spare right now.

I'm looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers right now, but I'm open to thoughts and opinions on other brands.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
283 Posts
:think: ummmmm "cough", search button?

Not to be a dick but this has been discussed ALOT on here.

at least state your intentions

·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:think: ummmmm "cough", search button?

Not to be a dick but this has been discussed ALOT on here.

at least state your intentions
Crazy to think that maybe I have searched huh? I'm looking for a little more than "good tire" or "I like mine."

Also there are reoccurring opinions about fitting 285s on a stock truck. Some say it fits fine some say crank the torsion bars a inch and a half and trims some and they'll fit fine.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
285's will fit fine, you may need to put a few turns in them but no trimming is needed at all. assuming you are staying on stock rims.

·
make me a sammich
841 Posts
My buddies 03 ECSB fit them with no crank, but I know crews sit lower. Just crank the stock keys and get it alined, they'll fit no problem then

·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddies 03 ECSB fit them with no crank, but I know crews sit lower. Just crank the stock keys and get it alined, they'll fit no problem then
I'm going to do a leveling kit later this summer so I'd like to be able to just throw the 285's on and deal with the stance in a month or two.

285's will fit fine, you may need to put a few turns in them but no trimming is needed at all. assuming you are staying on stock rims.
Yes, I'll be sticking with the stock 17" wheels. Truck is a DD.

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
all you need is front keys to level if you want, which run about $100. mine just has the t bars cranked, i dont remember my exact measurements, but my front fender height was about 1/4" lower than the rear. if money is tight, why not buy cheaper tires? im sure everyone on here will tell you nitto or toyo or somethin along those lines, but its all up to you man, i have runway enduros. i paid about $500 mounted and balanced, there are all terrains, ive had em on for around 20k miles, and they are fine. been through 2 winters, plowed with them, never had any problems

·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
BFG all terrains...I've seen a few sets go for 50k-60k and still have some kinda tread on em when new tires were put on

9,795 Posts
you can definitely fit the 285/70s so that isn't a concern...also I would go with either nitto terra grapplers of bfg at's...both are great tires

·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking to buy in the next paycheck or two, and I think I've got the tires narrowed down to two choices:

285/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 - $922
285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler A/T - $812

Any thoughts? I have Duelers now (265/70R17 AT RH-S) and I've been pretty happy with them, especially since they were pretty worn (~50k miles on them) when I bought the truck a few months ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts