GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so here's the deal..

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71, she's got a lift on her, a front end replacement, rear bumper replacement, two 12" subs, and a toolbox..

Ever since the lift was put on she has been eating up tires. The rear tires just get demolished. I went through a set of BFG All-Terrains in 10,551 miles. Discount Tire stood true to their 50,000 mile warranty they gave me and gave me like $800 towards a replacement set of BFG All-Terrains. The replacement set which have been on for only about 8,000 miles are just about bald. I thought that it might have something do to with the 5 1/2" blocks on the rear axle, so I swapped those with some 5" Superlift Leaf Srings and a 1" block. Didn't help.. 4 Wheel Parts said that it could have something to do with that my adjustable shocks were set on the softest ride, so that's been changed. Hasn't helped at all..

Is there anything that any of yall can think of as to of why I'm running through tires so quickly? Could it be that I need to go with a load range E tire or what? I'm completely lost and extremely frustrated. Any suggestions will help. Thanks

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
having fun at burnout contests? theres NO reason bfgs should be wearing out near that fast. most people can get 40K out of them, and that little extra weight shouldn't take more than a few thousand off them, if that.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
stop driving like a jackass :crazy:

but seriously what are your driving habits

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
maybe alot of gravel and burnouts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a set of BFG All-Terrains before I got the lift that I bought used with 25k miles on them and I drove them for another 20 easily. They were balder than all get out but they still lasted almost 80% longer.

I don't ever spin the tires purposely.. I don't put her in cruise control on the highway anymore but when she was in cruise control on the highway and she'd kick in to passing gear the tires would spin, but other than that never. As much as I'm having to pay every 6 months for a new set of tires, I can't afford to be burning out, much less have the ability to. I get 14 mpg and I keep her under 2,000 rpm unless I'm getting on the freeway. I honestly baby the poor girl. My driveway in College Station is gravel but it's not more than 40 feet.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and the Hypertech hasn't been programmed in the truck in 7 months, so I don't have that kind of power..

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
i dunno wtf is going on then somethings wrong if you dont get at least 40k

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
but when she was in cruise control on the highway and she'd kick in to passing gear the tires would spin.
Unless you have some very SERIOUS power adders, BULL FUCKING SHIT :imo

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Bad alignment or bad suspension components, take you pick. To much toe in will wear tires out incredible fast.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
so youre saying just the rear tires are getting chewed up? do you rotate? what psi do you have in them? does it pull to either side when on the highway?
my guess is that back of your truck is fucked up and your rear axle is at an angle

1 - 20 of 91 Posts