GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had serious clearance issues, and I didn't realize how serious they were until yesterday when I realized my rear tires were hitting the tub :pshyco: Luckily it didn't do any damage on the few wheeling trips I've been on, but it was certainly hurting my flex. I remember a client of mine had a set of stock rear TJ flares at his house, so I called him about them and picked them up this morning for free :anitoof:
Added a few things since the last time I posted some pics, like a Rock-It front diff guard (waiting on rear), sway bar disco's (finally!), free stock TJ front bumper, and I've got my gas tank skid, slip-yoke elminator and CV driveshaft in the garage waiting to be installed. Hoping to piece togethewr the funds for a Dana 44 rear by end of Summer

$5 for some Krylon Fusion to make 'em look good and I was good to go. Best free mod I've done!

Before...

(It looks like nothing, and it was, but it looks worse in that photo)

No before's of the rear flares stuffed, but the rubbed...bad. Now it's freakin' perfect.

After

As soon as I get front flares I'll be clear up front too :D

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The front TJ flares look sick on YJs. Plus they help clearance a ton as well.

Like this:

CayucosMay192007030.jpg

Did your disconnects even make a difference? On my buddies(the one above) they made hardly any difference at all, so now he just leaves them disconnected all the time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking about flat fendering the front since the front part of the wheel wells is already messed up, but I'm going to see how it looks with front TJ flares too.

Casey is that your YJ? Looks good :head:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
How long have you been in Santa Rosa? I lived there for a couple years before moving to Az in January..... if you've ever been to Pioneer Auto Parts (now a Carquest) on Petaluma Hill Rd near Santa Rosa Ave you've probably seen me, I worked as a parts counter guy there for a year or so.

Or if your into rock bands maybe you've heard or seen my bands Beautiful Ashes or Red Getaway play at The Last Day Saloon.

or if you remember 101.7 The Fox that gave away that red 1966 Mustang they called "the metal masterpiece" but later was called Mustallica because they had the band Metallica autograph the hood.... the shop I worked at in Rohnert Park ( Vinnies Rohnert Park Automotive) built the engine for that car for the giveaway.

-Mykk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've lived in SR for like 9 years now. I never went into Carquest/Pioneer until like 4 months ago when I was looking for Synchromesh, must have been right after you left because a couple chicks were working if I remember right. You guys have one driver that I know of that is pretty cute if you ask me, she used to be blonde but dies her hair black, she looked better as a blonde I think...

My brother was a parts driver for McConnel and then Bayshore Int. for a while, name is Jason, don't know if you would have ran into him at all, races sprint cars too. If you ever went to Petaluma to watch the races we're the White/Red #33 360.

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,779 Posts
Looks good Dolan. Its changed alot for the better.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm thinking about flat fendering the front since the front part of the wheel wells is already messed up, but I'm going to see how it looks with front TJ flares too.

Casey is that your YJ? Looks good :head:

Haha no, that is my girlfriend's brother's Jeep. I will be wrenching on it quite a bit this summer though. He's got a disc braked 8.8 with 4.88s and a Detroit all lined up waiting for install in his garage in the next few months. Thanks for the compliment, I'll pass the word along. You ever venture towards the Niagara Rim area? That is a pretty long drive from SR, but on July 7th there is a pretty big Poker Run up there with probably 80 Jeeps/Yotas and other trail rigs that we will be taking his YJ to, as well as my gf's XJ which has a RE LA kit on it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like it's about 4 hours from where I'm at, that's not too bad I guess considering it takes me about 2.5-3 to get to Hollister. I'd love to go but IDK if I'll make it, it'll be a last minute decison. If I can get someone here in town to go with me I'll probably go, but we'll see... Thanks for letting me know it about it.
I didn't see the other question in your first post about the disco's. I've had my sway bar on the whole time, I just had to unbolt the links every time I go somewhere to wheel. When it's off it's not a huge difference in handling but enough to make me want it connected since it's my DD.

Those look like 33's... And he's going to 4:88's? Does he have the 4 banger on crack like I do or the 4.0? Only reason I ask is 'cause 4:88's would be pretty damn low for the 6 cyl. I can't wait to regear, it's not bad with the 33's but I'm used to it now and I want my damn power back...But I refuse to dump money into the Dana turdy-5 rear end...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The one I posted has the full shaft version from TW... but I think you were referring to his. Anyways, it's a 4.0L and he bought it already geared, but this summer he is stepping up to 35s so it should be a nice combo. It won't be in by the Niagara run though, which is too bad. Oh well. We will run that trail again in the next few months for sure.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm doing the cheapie version :endofshow Fine for me right now, I don't beat the hell out of it. I'm seriously thinking about picking up an Aussie Locker for the D35 now, so I guess I'm contradicting my previous thoughts on putting money into it :crazy: But for about $230 it almost seems worth it so I can have a more capable rig. More and more people are telling me with the 4 cyl I won't have as many issues but to carry extra axles just in case. I'm going to be hitting up Frank Raines, Strawberry, and hopefully the Rubicon in August with a friend of mine. I don't have a ton of flex but the springs are flexy as shit and it seems to cycles really well; I haven't really ran into anything I couldn't make it through, but I also haven't attempted anything I know I can't do. A locker will make it badass :rocking:

4:88's and 35's will be good, I know a few guys with that combo and they do awesome. I want 4:88's and I'm just going to keep it at that. I don't want a 4:1 because I'm not always crawling and I can't afford an Atlas for quite some time, so gears will make a huge difference.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Ive installed one of those Hack N Taps and the concept while sound in concept just doesn't inspire confidence. I wish I could report on the longevity of it as I installed it with my friend 4 years ago, but he rolled that XJ and wiped it out. No clue what happened to the drivetrain but it didn't go into the MJ he built later.

Don't waste the time and money on the D35, its so easy to put a bigger rear under your leaf sprung YJ its just not worth it. An 8.8 would be real easy, not sure if the sprung under perches are the right width however and I know they are like 3"s narrower than the stock WMS on the XJ rear's.

The Con in August is looking popular, a group of us are going up the 21st or something around there.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
looks awesome man

I want a jeep

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Hmmm I have to look into getting some TJ flares

1 - 20 of 22 Posts