GMC Truck Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1060 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
Decided to try out the denim pad after getting back from field work. Seams to work well. Front of wheel arch forward is all done with just the denim pad and diamond cutting compound. This pad scares the shit out of me tho. It bleeds out the blue dye and when mixed with the cutting compound looks green. Thought ibwent through the clear 😅

Reactions: JLGMT82 and eand28

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,776 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,046
Wait you are going slip yoke?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Yup, the radius arms are designed to follow the driveshaft making it possible

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048
I finished polishing the Driver's side last night, at least for the first stage anyway. Grill and about half the hood are wet sanded and ready for polish. Hopefully finish those up tonight when I get back from the field.

Also painted the grill inserts a semi gloss anodized bronze. Wasnt too sure about it until I mocked one up, think I'm going to run them this color. Going to do the bowtie and tailgate lettering this color as well. Planning on doing the bumpers too but idk that might be too much and I'll just cm the front and run a chrome one on the rear.

Bumper plans

·
Registered
Solid axle '01 Tahoe/'03 Sierra/'18 Silverado
194 Posts
Yup, the radius arms are designed to follow the driveshaft making it possible
On mine I have perfect geometry, the driveshaft length doesn't vary even 1/8" through the entire cycle. Which in theory allows for the factory slip yoke. But i have so much travel that it maxed out the factory style U joint. I went DC to remedy that. You may need to. But being HP you may not

One of the reasons i didn't go out of my way to have a HP diff is that with perfect rad arm geometry it usually moves the mounting points below the frame. I wanted less to hang up on. So gaining that 3+ inches was a nice benefit to the LP axle.

So my rad arm mounts are above the bottom of the frame.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050
On mine I have perfect geometry, the driveshaft length doesn't vary even 1/8" through the entire cycle. Which in theory allows for the factory slip yoke. But i have so much travel that it maxed out the factory style U joint. I went DC to remedy that. You may need to. But being HP you may not

One of the reasons i didn't go out of my way to have a HP diff is that with perfect rad arm geometry it usually moves the mounting points below the frame. I wanted less to hang up on. So gaining that 3+ inches was a nice benefit to the LP axle.

So my rad arm mounts are above the bottom of the frame. View attachment 872222
I'm just a moron with a welder, mine is all 100% wfo design and components.

Reactions: eand28

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well that is neat
I'm just a moron with a welder, mine is all 100% wfo design and components.
It's accomplished easily
1) radius arm style front suspension

2) measure from center of the yoke on the pinion down to the center of the radius arm mounting on the diff. Being sure that you are measuring perpendicularly downward to the pinion.

3) take measurement from 2, and similarly find the point directly downward from the center of the t-case yoke. This is the point on the vertical plane for the frame side radius arm pivot (the bolt)

4) measure from a known point on the frame longitudinally to the center of the t-case yoke u joint. This is the point on the longitudal front-to-back plane for the frame side radius arm pivot (bolt).

5) fabricate the frame side mounts to accommodate these measurements.

Done

Additionally to find the transverse side-to-side plane to set them if you want to get super anal. You can measure to set them accordingly so that the arm joints at both ends are perfectly neutral at ride height. My axle mounts had a 5° kick to them that made the frame side mounts canted accordingly.
The side-to-side location of the mounts only helps with overall flex, and joint life. And is not very important in the overall geometry.

I used masking tape (and later square tubing) into the mounts, and mocked the axle into place at ride height to find the exact angle....i suck at trigonometry.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I dont have radius arms so me not the same

It works with rad arms because the driveshaft being a single link with pivot at both ends swings only on one radius. And can therefore be replicated with a link parallel to it.

Doing it with a 4 link is way more complicated, and there's usually things like engines transmissions and transfer cases in the way making ideal mounting of upper links, and room for them to cycle nearly impossible to boot

So settling for a slightly less than perfect geometry is usually worth the benefits of a 4 link.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,556 Posts
Bro i am running leaf. But yes I get what your are saying

·
Registered
194 Posts
*I want to say that the WFO kit is awesome. They're also really great to deal with, and work with the guy trying to do his own weird project.

I'd have probably gone with them if they made a kit for my axle....they don't

Bro i am running leaf. But yes I get what your are saying

Ha ha that's what i get for assuming, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,056

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
what lights are those? sorry if i missed it lol

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,058
Reactions: benz88

·
n. fil-dert.
7,067 Posts
Announcement: I just ran through the forum posts, this forum still sucks, see you all again in 3 months.

Carry on.

1041 - 1060 of 1060 Posts