GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck = '02 2500HD w/ 6" RCD suspension (Billstein shocks all around), 35's on 18's.

Im getting really tired of how stiff the ride is on road, and although the torsions arent maxed out (have a little over 1/2" of thread left) Im considering throwing a 2" body lift on so that I can fully unload the torsion bars back to stock in hopes that the ride will soften up a bit.

Other than the shocks, I just dont understand what a lift does to change the ride so drastically. I mean, esentially with a suspension lift, all that is being done is putting a spacer of sorts between the body and the wheels correct? Hypothetically If the torsion bars were cranked back to stock, at that point is the stiff ride really attributed soley to the addition of the after market shocks and bigger tires?

Please note that I know abosolutley dick about body lifts, have never installed one or riden in a truck with one. That said, any input regarding anything in the paragraphs above would be apprciated. Im looking for answers to things like, will unloading my torsions be worth while or achive the results Im looking for? Is there an alternative to unloading them to soften the ride? On my specific truck do body lifts look like shit (general concensus, i realize everyone has different opinions of what looks good/like shit).

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
loading the torsion bars is what causes the stiff ride. i did my body lift this weekend its simple as long you dont have a duramax.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
theres many things to consider when your thinking it rides stiff, one like your saying is your bars are raised too much, how much room do you have between ur upper control arm and bump stop? you should be able to fit your fingers between them. have you seen the sulastic shackles? i just put them on my truck and they improved the ride a ton! if i was you i wouldnt bl it...i think they look like shit on hds.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Why dont you go to 33s and then unload your tbars? Body lifts look decent if done right but all in all in the end, its still a body lift. But needless to say if you want to keep yours 35s then go for it. 2 inches wont look too bad.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I checked out the upper control arm and the bump stop last week actually and its damn near sitting on it, I cant see light though the gap, if there is one. I thought that was a bit weird and could be part of the problem. But then I checked out a buddies '03 2500HD and his control arm/bump stop setup is exactly the same, the bump stop resting right on the arm. His truck rides like a caddy.

So I checked out the sulastic shackles online but dont exactly understand what they do. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, sorry. So any info you can provide on them would be great. Im assuming they go back on the leafs.. also, the first few sets I came across were about $340. If you got them cheaper, a link to the site you ordered them would be appreicated. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
theres part of your problem with the upper control arm...i would lower it a few turns and get it were u have a fingers gap about 1/2"- 5/8" gap and see if that helps. if you put the cognito arms on you can leave it at that height.

the sulastic shackles basically works as a second spring, it replaces your stock shackle with rubber spring so it basically tsoaks up all the small bumps and vibrations, but when enough weight it applied it has a stopper and then put weight on your leafs...its hard to explain...ill see if i can find a thread on dp with a write up on them. yea 340 is the cheapest i found but well worth the money

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theres part of your problem with the upper control arm...i would lower it a few turns and get it were u have a fingers gap about 1/2"- 5/8" gap and see if that helps. if you put the cognito arms on you can leave it at that height.

the sulastic shackles basically works as a second spring, it replaces your stock shackle with rubber spring so it basically tsoaks up all the small bumps and vibrations, but when enough weight it applied it has a stopper and then put weight on your leafs...its hard to explain...ill see if i can find a thread on dp with a write up on them. yea 340 is the cheapest i found but well worth the money
Thanks for the help.. and again, sorry for the lack of knowlege here, but how exactly do I go about lowering the control arm to clear the bump stop? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You would have to unload the torsion keys by backing off the bolt in the picture

truckdogs088.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts