GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
There's no reason they would refuse to align it. Just crank it up like 1" to 1.5" (about 6-10 turns).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Do it!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
they wont refuse you, do it, i highly doubt they will even recognize it was cranked

·
Team White!
446 Posts
At least crank it to level the truck if nothing else, when i did alignments at Goodyear, i'd always ask customers if they wanted me to level the truck out before i aligned it. You can never overcrank it with factory keys :imo Just be careful if you have Ford keys

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
def. crank it, cuz crankin em does effect the toe on it so get it done before the alignment.
Cranking effects camber not toe :read: cranking causes the tops of your tires to do this / \. Yes it does this because the UCA is shorter than the LCA. Its all geometry. Drawit out and cycle the suspesion in your head and you will understand.:head:

·
Registered
84 Posts
do it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cranking effects camber not toe :read: cranking causes the tops of your tires to do this / \. Yes it does this because the UCA is shorter than the LCA. Its all geometry. Drawit out and cycle the suspesion in your head and you will understand.:head:

Actually the toe changes also. Just so you know.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Actually the toe changes also. Just so you know.
Enlighten me. Cuz i watched the guy crank my bars while the machine was on my wheels. just the camber chaged .3*.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You have a short upper arm.
Long lower arm
Midsize tierod.

Draw it out like you said. They would all have to be the same length to not get a change.

Sounds like the machine has a problem. Oops.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
You have a short upper arm.
Long lower arm
Midsize tierod.

Draw it out like you said. They would all have to be the same length to not get a change.

Sounds like the machine has a problem. Oops.
I highly doubt it, but a full alignment was done. Maybe the machine was just showing camber at the time. I dont know how to alighn with a computer so I wont argue this point.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
In barely related cranking news...

I swapped my 285 BFG K/Os onto my girls truck. They have always rubbed on me some, but they were horrible on her ride. I went to crank her up some, and I maxed out the keys with like 2-3 turns. Had to trim, and now it rubs like mine used to. Weird. I guess her '01 bars have just settled... a lot.

-bZj

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
In barely related cranking news...

I swapped my 285 BFG K/Os onto my girls truck. They have always rubbed on me some, but they were horrible on her ride. I went to crank her up some, and I maxed out the keys with like 2-3 turns. Had to trim, and now it rubs like mine used to. Weird. I guess her '01 bars have just settled... a lot.

-bZj
Thats the weirdest thing i have ever heard :think:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I highly doubt it, but a full alignment was done. Maybe the machine was just showing camber at the time. I dont know how to alighn with a computer so I wont argue this point.

Yeah. It will change the toe. Also, isnt the truck on the rack with the tires touching the ground. You need to lift it to crank the torsion bars properly:hmm:

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Not really you can crank them how you want. Lifting it makes it easier to turn the bolt. Lifting off weight wont allow for more or less lift. cranking the keys on the weight doesnt put more stress than you cycling you suspension, so i dont see a big deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts