GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Chevy truck owner .. been a Ram guy for years. Lifted all of them with 35"s and 37". Trucks all had factory gears 4.10 and 4.56 so never a problem with the hemi and cummins.

Now I own my first Chevy its a 2010 Z71 Single Cab. I am installing a 7" FTS and 35's but not sure if I need a gear change as I am not up to par with the Chevy 5.3L motors, trans or gears. It has 3.08 gears in it now.
Again not sure if gears are needed or what with what I am installing on it, that is why I am posting.

I do have a In Tune that helps some but I am assuming you all will say new gears are needed. Before I head out to install the lift and tires I just wanted opinions on should I be ordering gears now?

I tow a trailer and ATV on weekends. Hardly on the interstate. This is a DD for the most part. I assume its going to cost a arm and a leg to put gears in but if I need them .. well

Options on a good all around gear with some grunt where I dont get killed in MPG would be great but thats asking a lot.

·
4,725 Posts
Gear

·
4,725 Posts
Lots lf variables but 4.56 is the moderate choice. Really just depends. Id use the www.4lo.com calculator to figure out what ratio gives you your desired rpms.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man. I will take a look at the link. I was reading here that most guys go 4.88 in this case.

I wonder how much of a dog it will be in the 3.08's till I get new gears in it

·
4,725 Posts
You can use 3.08, just dont beat on it relentlessly. As long as you keep trans temps normal its not a big deal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can use 3.08, just dont beat on it relentlessly. As long as you keep trans temps normal its not a big deal.
Thats good to know, thanks. I might have to ride with them for a month or so until I can find a place to do the install. I am assuming its going to be PRICEY

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have the 6speed if that makes a difference

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
x2 on the 4:56. they did come out with a 4:30 gear would be ideal but a lot of guys run 4:56 and love it

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
What the what?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL ya I dont know what that was ?

But anyway yes I read 4.56 are a go to, to get it back to stock with the 6 speed but I think I want a little more than stock at this point. 4.88 seem to be a close second for that "more than stock feel" from my findings with the 6 speed.

Its hard to find post just about the 6 speed. Guys with the 4 speed love the 4.56 and if my truck was a 4 speed than this thread would not be posted LOL

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,700 Posts
LOL ya I dont know what that was ?

But anyway yes I read 4.56 are a go to, to get it back to stock with the 6 speed but I think I want a little more than stock at this point. 4.88 seem to be a close second for that "more than stock feel" from my findings with the 6 speed.

Its hard to find post just about the 6 speed. Guys with the 4 speed love the 4.56 and if my truck was a 4 speed than this thread would not be posted LOL
The od gear is almost the same between the 6 spd and the 4 spd. So on the highway they are the same animal

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for cleaning that up. My wife said make a appointment for gears so im going to do that after I research what gears I want. I am thinking 4.88 what would you all recommend

·
Come at me bro
204 Posts
Thanks for cleaning that up. My wife said make a appointment for gears so im going to do that after I research what gears I want. I am thinking 4.88 what would you all recommend
I'm running 5.13's with my 37's but I think you'll be happier with 4.88's if you go with 37's.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Are you pushing the hydraulic button on the stick in the sim? If not, your gear wont do anything.
I'll have what he's on^^

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking 4.88 will work for me. I want better than stock off the line feel. And I still tow. Not much highway

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stupid question ... do I need to take the truck to the dealer to fix the computer after gears or will my in tune do this. Also what needs re tuned here?

I decided on the 4.88's waiting to hear back from the installer on the total cost .. they said around $2000 but I dont know if that is replacing the g80 locker or reusing it.
What does that sound like to you?

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Each axle: $300 for gears, $100 for install kit, $500 for locker. These figures can go up or down depending on brand used. $2000 - $300x2 - $100x2 (what you were most likely quoated) leaves $1200 in labor. Way too much unless they quoted a locker (which I doubt if you didn't specify)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya I will find out tomorrow. I just told them 4.88s with everything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts