GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NorCalOffRoad
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like it says. What would you guys do? I have an ext cab 94 with a custom box that I made under the back seat. It houses an upfiring 12w3 on the drivers side, and amp rack in the middle, and a stoarge bin on the passanger side. The orginal plan was to carpet it and call it good. Well its been sitting in the truck bare wood for the past few months. Im kinda throwing around the idea of rounding the edges, coating it with fiberglass and resin, and painting it body color. Just not sure what would look the best. Then if I decide to paint it, what paint would I have to use and would I have to use clear? Plus that would be a lot of work, but it would kill a lot of free time afterwork too. Maybe I should get a pic of it so ya all can see it first. But what do you guys think? Paint or carpet?

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Well, carpet would be tons easier, but paint would look 100 times better.
I'm planning on ripping the carpet off mine and painting it to match my truck.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm going to wrap my sub box in extra Katzkin I have. I have Katzkin seats so I think the box would look good in Black Katzkin leather. As for yours i think the fiberglass is a good idea. It would look much smoother, go for the fiberglass.

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
How about using the bed liner stuff, like Line-X or Rhino Lining? I've see the do-it-yourself stuff at Walmart and Kragen for like $30.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Carpet. If you do the fiberglass, might want to do something to cover the misc stuff on the side, and get the fiberglass/wood to come up further under the seat so it's flush. My opinion... :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
bedliner works great, and is easy to do. Cans at walmart are around $8, and you would need a little less than 2 cans. If you're worried about mud on it, bedliner is your best bet. No scratching like paint will, and its easy and looks good. Thats how I do all my customers boxes now, in bedliner. All you do is sand it down with 80 grit, and spray it. It does not chip off easily also. One of my boxes went through hell, and never even chipped.

·
rockin wheelies
284 Posts
Carpet it is easier and you dont see to much of the box to go to all of the trouble of painting it. :read:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts