GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, admittedly I'm a newb. However, I do know how to use the search function. And after doing that for a couple of months, I cannot seem to get a clear answer from the myriad of RCX posts on this site. Between threads that are 5+ years old, grown men slap fighting, and actual information, I can't make heads or tales of it.

The RCX 5" lift seems like a lift I would like. I have a '13 GMC Z71. I don't want anything too flashy. I want to keep the stock rims if possible. I am not looking for a huge track width change. Just something classy and understated. However, "everyone" seems to tell "everyone else" to stay away from RCX. Why? What is the risk?

If not RCX, then what? Zone? Fabtech? BDS? Every time this discussion is had it seems to be apples and oranges. RCX's price point makes them more attractive to most. So why choose Fabtech and spend the extra $$$?

Just looking for some straight answers or maybe some good and bad experiences. Share away!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I'd be like a cook telling you how good my food tastes if I answered your question but members who have firsthand experience with each brand will probably chime in soon. If you have any questions I can help with on our kit, ask away!

-Steve

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
RCX is good in 5" and 6". They usually say to stay away from the RCX 3.5" or 7.5". Zone is also a good kit as well as Fabtech. Only difference is height and price between them. Fabtech is a 8" kit marketed as a 6". RCX is $849 and is the least expensive. Fabtech is almost double and Zone is right around $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
876 Posts
My hate stems from country boys stretching the rcx kits to the limits. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
One thing about Rcx, their customer service is great!

·
Registered
202 Posts
No first hand experience, but my take after a year or so of reading is that it is not a bad kit (5") The problem is that it is a 5"! On these trucks that will allow you to run 33's Most people are interested in 35's on a much wider wheel.

Decide on the tire and wheel size you WANT. Get an appropriate sized lift to match. If you want 35's it will be hard to beat the price that Frank will give on the FTS. That is the big push. The price and quality of the FTS fits the bill for 35's on a wider wheel.

Again I do not have nor have had either one, just a ton of reading. I like the fact that my Rancho came with extended brake lines and new shocks (not shock extenders) But at 5.5" a wide 35" is not going to happen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am new to this forum as well and have been researching and reading post for the last few weeks trying to figure out what lift and wheels to put on my new 2014 GMC Sierra CC SLT 4x4 Z71.
I had a 2008 Chevy CC 4x4 with a 3 inch lift/level which just maxed out the struts and put 76,000 miles on it trouble free and thought it rode fine but want a bigger lift for my new truck.
I just ordered a 7inch Rough Country lift for my truck because I want to keep the stock track width but more importantly I have a buddy with the same RC lift on his 2014 GMC Sierra with 35 Toyo MT's an it rides way better than my old leveled truck.
He has 30,000 miles on the lift with no problems and loves the ride, I also ride in his truck about once a week going hunting.

On the other hand I know someone else with a Zone 4.5 inch lift with 34" Toyo AT's on a 2014 Chevy CC 4x4 that has some serious vibration problems with his as well as some other issues and they can not seem to correct them. The dealership blames the lift, it has gotten better.
Since I have researched a few forums I have found it is a common problem among others as well.

Just first hand experience I have seen.

·
Roll Tide
868 Posts
In response to the OP:

I say go for the rcx 5" if that is your desired height, which from what you said you want the "understated" look. But like 99k1500 said, your best bet is to figure out the exact tire size you want to run. Seeing as you want to run the stock wheels, im sure youll go no bigger than a 34" tire at best, so the rcx 5" should be great. Its priced well and is a well built kit. People say steer away from rough country because of their 3.5" and 7.5" kits. The 3.5" is just a stacked leveling kit from hell with the UCA and ball joint angles to show it, and the 7.5" is just the 5" kit with a level slapped on top, which again gives you horrible angles and a shitty ride. If you want 35s, my vote is for the FTS, and Frank will hook you up.

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
no experience, but from reading around the site RCX fits your needs perfectly.. subtle, not flashy and gets the job done

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I hear a lot about this Frank guy and giving good deals on the FTS lift. Who is he? How do I get in touch? What kind of deal are we talking?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I am new to this forum as well and have been researching and reading post for the last few weeks trying to figure out what lift and wheels to put on my new 2014 GMC Sierra CC SLT 4x4 Z71.
I had a 2008 Chevy CC 4x4 with a 3 inch lift/level which just maxed out the struts and put 76,000 miles on it trouble free and thought it rode fine but want a bigger lift for my new truck.
I just ordered a 7inch Rough Country lift for my truck because I want to keep the stock track width but more importantly I have a buddy with the same RC lift on his 2014 GMC Sierra with 35 Toyo MT's an it rides way better than my old leveled truck.
He has 30,000 miles on the lift with no problems and loves the ride, I also ride in his truck about once a week going hunting.

On the other hand I know someone else with a Zone 4.5 inch lift with 34" Toyo AT's on a 2014 Chevy CC 4x4 that has some serious vibration problems with his as well as some other issues and they can not seem to correct them. The dealership blames the lift, it has gotten better.
Since I have researched a few forums I have found it is a common problem among others as well.

Just first hand experience I have seen.
Mark - I'm very interested in hearing more on this one if you can have your friend call our tech department directly (888-998-9663). Our 2014 4.5" kit geometry is essentially the same as our 07-13 kits, there has to be some explanation for the issue. We still have a 2014 in our shop and would be happy to help troubleshoot with our engineers to figure out what's going on.

-Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
who is this frank and what kinda prices are we talking here also yet to find anywhere that has RCX for less than 900 shipped

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a '14 Sierra 1500 4wd with RCX 7"... No problems whatsoever. I also had a 2008 Sierra 2wd with the 7.5" with no problems either.

·
07 NNBS
237 Posts
How do their 3.5" kits with UCAs compare? I JUST leveled my truck and want to run a bigger tire, and their 3.5" kit was looking the most appealing. Id basically be throwing the rear blocks away as Id just get AALs and be happy, but for the front.

·
Banned
366 Posts
50,000 miles on my 7.5" rcx lift. not one single issue. rides great. angles are fine.
and yes, I actually stick this truck in the mud. no pavement princess here.
one think to take into consideration is tires. a lot of people swap out there stock wheels and tires when they lift the truck and when they do, they go to a smaller sidewall tire. then they bitch about a harsh ride and blame the lift.

I run a 37 on a 18" wheel.....

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
How do their 3.5" kits with UCAs compare? I JUST leveled my truck and want to run a bigger tire, and their 3.5" kit was looking the most appealing. Id basically be throwing the rear blocks away as Id just get AALs and be happy, but for the front.
FYI for anyone wondering - You can buy our 3.5" Adventure Series kit without the rear blocks/ubolts/rear shocks. Drops the kit price by about $130.

The UCAs we include are a fully boxed/welded design as opposed to a tubular design. It doesn't look like their utilizing any gussets on their arms. Our diff drop brackets are a fabricated steel design, and we include a full width (14") skid plate as opposed to a narrower style. Our UCAs, brackets, etc are made here in the good ol' USA!

·
07 NNBS
237 Posts
FYI for anyone wondering - You can buy our 3.5" Adventure Series kit without the rear blocks/ubolts/rear shocks. Drops the kit price by about $130.

The UCAs we include are a fully boxed/welded design as opposed to a tubular design. It doesn't look like their utilizing any gussets on their arms. Our diff drop brackets are a fabricated steel design, and we include a full width (14") skid plate as opposed to a narrower style. Our UCAs, brackets, etc are made here in the good ol' USA!

That is a killer deal. Let me do some research on install costs and everything. I just did the TGC 2" level kit and still am not too happy with the height. I just need to see how itd look another inch and a half taller. How well does your kit do with Coilovers? Because im hoping to have a set of Kings by the end of the year and then I may move to a Readylift Mid kit, this kit would be great until I can get to that point though.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
You shouldn't have an issue running King's with our kit but you'll want to be able to run them at stock height if our 3.5" spacer will be installed with them. The geometry of our kit is in spec at 3.5", adding Kings for more lift would be the issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts