GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Formerly whitetrash
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it's a thread concerning a dodge...

I'm looking at getting a 8" coilover lift from Rock Krawler (same guys that make the coilover kit for the chevys) and running some 38x15.5s on my 20x10s. Will this be shitty on a Daily Driver? I had 36x15.5s on my 2000 z71, and that truck wandered a fair bit on the highway.

The truck has a straight axle and it IS a diesel, so i'm thinking it won't be that bad. But i'm not sure. What do you guys think? How big is too big on a DD?

·
Registered
447 Posts
It all depends on you :imo . I had 39.5's on my old '01 Chevy and loved it. I would have kept that truck if it had been a diesel and not a 6.0 gasser. I say do it, it'll look awesome.:head:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Guy that I know pretty well has the same truck you have with 36x14.50s and it does great on the highway. He upgraded to the Fabtech Dirt Logic front shocks though.

I'd say 38s on that truck would be no problem. My other friend has a 07 Super Duty with 38.5 x 15.50 MTZs and that sucker rides like a dream.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
I ran 36x14.5 tires before these claws and they did fine. I do like the skinnier 37x13.5's a little better though.

·
4,725 Posts
Depends on the person. Some people have to be low to the ground, others(like myself) thrive on 12" and 39's or bigger.

·
Formerly whitetrash
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guy that I know pretty well has the same truck you have with 36x14.50s and it does great on the highway. He upgraded to the Fabtech Dirt Logic front shocks though.

I'd say 38s on that truck would be no problem. My other friend has a 07 Super Duty with 38.5 x 15.50 MTZs and that sucker rides like a dream.
What kind of lift does your friend with the dodge have? What kind of tires?

·
Formerly whitetrash
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here are some pics of a truck like mine with the rock krawler 8" and some 38s (on 18s though)

·
YUH
7,600 Posts
looks fuckin beautiful to me. id do it no problem. its a sfa deisel.. HD chevy guys run 38s daily driven all the time. yours would be more practical and more stable either way you look at it so why not?

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
What do you like more about the 37s?
Everything :D

I never did have a problem with it wandering very much, but on roads that were unevenly paved it would wander some. The 13.5 wide tires seem to do a little better in these situations. Plus they lowered my rpm's a little at freeway speeds (not much but slightly noticable). 36 and 4.88 gears are great in the city, but 70+ on the freeway sucked.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Trying to daily drive anything that big is a pita. You always have to plan where you will or won't fit and then deal with increased stopping distance, slower acceleration and the extra work to load/unload as well as getting in and out. Personally Ill never try and DD another truck bigger than 35's, its just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
i do it, an that truck is better suited for it from the get go than mine is. its not gonna be a honda civic, but thats the price you pay to play. id do it

·
Formerly whitetrash
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
double dare.
well, in THAT case....:D

Yeah, i'm leaning towards doing it for sure. The kit is reasonably priced for what it is ($2850 at topguncustomz) and apparently it rides better than stock. Suspension travel increases from somewhere around 2.5"-3" to 10".

The price is a lot more than, say, a 6" skyjacker kit ($1200), but those kits also don't come with adjustable long arms,adjustable trackbar, better ride, etc.

And i figure if i don't like the 38s, i can downgrade to 37s or 36s. So i'm leanin towards it. I LOVE the way that blue truck looks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts