GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a crossover built into the headunit, a crossover that was supplied with my front components, and a crossover at the amplifier. Is this too much?

I'm thinking of connecting tweets directly to the headunit (utilizing the HU high pass filter), bridging the mids on a 2 channel amp while using its low pass filter, and finally the subwoofer will be powered by a mrp500. Basically this will eliminate the crossovers that came with my components. Anybody done this before? Will I see any gains?

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
You would be making them active, so yes after some tuning you should see an improvement.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
You are thinking to much. To make it easier on yourself run the amp in full or pass through and use the hpf on the hu. Or do it the other way around. That alpine amp isn't active capable

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Also, I was wondering if the rear outputs on a headunit deliver more low frequencies (bassy tones) than the front outputs? Thinking about using the rear outputs to run midrange drivers that are actually located in the front doors.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
there should be front, rear, and sub

so the subs crossovers will be lower if your hu is equipped with it

·
Registered
181 Posts
Back when I was young, I used to do retarded things like this...
It never ended well.

OP, Please use the equipment as it was intended.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
The thing with passive crossovers is they should be appropriate for those speakers. Going active you're literally guessing on what should work well unless you have speaker specs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figure worst case scenario, I'll kill the tweets. The crossover frequency for the components is listed at ≥ 2,800 Hz (with -12 dB) so this should give me a starting point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today, before tearing into my truck to re-wire speakers, I made the decision to replace my kenwood x491 with a newer alpine 154bt. The difference was like night and day. The new alpine unit sounds super clean, the midbass and subwoofer are much stronger, the details are really pronounced, and the overall volume is way louder. Now I just need to spend time tuning the system, no need to re-wire anything. Previously, I thought my components were crappy but now I know that the kenwood headunit was my problem. Wow, what a difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd bet the high pass on the head unit won't be nearly high enough for running tweets off it. I only know of a handful that have adequate crossover points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts