GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil the other day and filled up my oil filter first with about half a quart of oil. Then I filled 6 qt. into the oil pan. It looked fine at first at the oil level stick. Now after driving a while and checking the oil when the engine has sat over night, it seems there is too much oil in it when checking the oil level stick. Looks like there is a half a qt. too much oil showing on the stick. It is about a quarter of an inch over the "max" level.
Should I drain some from the oil filter or just leave it as is? :think:
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'd say you're probably alrite, but if you're worried about it you could drain a bit, or siphon it out of the dipstick tube. I once put 6 quarts into a 5 quart engine...didn't have a problem...

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whifflebat said:
I'd say you're probably alrite, but if you're worried about it you could drain a bit, or siphon it out of the dipstick tube. I once put 6 quarts into a 5 quart engine...didn't have a problem...
How do you siphon it out the dipstick tube? Buy a long tube and use a turkey siphon? :think:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
youll be just fine, just remember the NBS Silverados with the V8's take 6 qt's even.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You could alwatys pull the oil filter out and drain what is in it out and put it back in. Might give you a little of a dry start, but I'd be willing to bet most quickie places don't bother to put oil in the filter.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
jebx said:
You could alwatys pull the oil filter out and drain what is in it out and put it back in. Might give you a little of a dry start, but I'd be willing to bet most quickie places don't bother to put oil in the filter.
I never have. My boss also has a suburban with 500k (TBI 350 baby) and he doesn't fill the filter either...

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've never filled the filter either. Is it recomended by the manufacturer or just something you guys do to get more oil?
I've never even heard of this until I read this thread.

I just changed my oil on Sunday and didnt put oil in the filter before putting it in and everything seems fine...like usual.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Th reason for doing it to to prevent a "dry start". If the filter is full of oil there is not a delay between the engine running and getting oil because the filter is already full versus having the oil filter fill up after starting.

Lots of cars you can't even do that with since the filter is horizontal. I think of it as a best practice. You can't always do it, so I just do it when I can. I am sure that there are a ton a lube shops that don't fill 'em up and they go on fine.

And no, that has nothing to do with "getting more oil". NBS 4.8/5.3/6.0 take 6 quarts total. About .5 of one goes in the filter, that is the difference.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
BuiltNotBought99 said:
well i don't think it's over filled too much but too much oil can blow out seals and gaskets.
Err, not quite.

If you fill it too much you can cause the balance weights on the crank to hit the oil which causes lots and lots of bubbles and other problems. Could also loose the prime in the pump if it gets too bubbly. But with only a 1/2 quart over you should be fine.

·
Registered
601 Posts
willyswanter said:
Err, not quite.

If you fill it too much you can cause the balance weights on the crank to hit the oil which causes lots and lots of bubbles and other problems. Could also loose the prime in the pump if it gets too bubbly. But with only a 1/2 quart over you should be fine.

:word: The pump can't pump foam, therefore your oil pump is not pumping oil.

rule of thumb usually is 10% over you shoudl be OK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts