GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my front bumper off today to try to color match it and was wondering if anybody has raised the whole bumper up to get rid of that huge gap between the bumper and turn lights

how much did you raise it?

it doesnt look very hard. i was thinking some 3/4" to 1" spacer for the four bolts on top and make some obrounds for the two end pieces because all they seem to do is hold the out side of the bumper and not any real weight therfore it doesnt need to be exactly perfect. right?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Go to ls1tech.com and look in the truck section over there. There is a guy, I think abbo7 that did that to his truck. He said it was a little more complicated than he thought it would be, but still wasn't that bad. He also had some before and after pics, it looks really good, makes a huge difference. Good luck, and keep us updated!

*edit- I found the post, here is the link:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164016

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04sierra said:
Go to ls1tech.com and look in the truck section over there. There is a guy, I think abbo7 that did that to his truck. He said it was a little more complicated than he thought it would be, but still wasn't that bad. He also had some before and after pics, it looks really good, makes a huge difference. Good luck, and keep us updated!

*edit- I found the post, here is the link:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164016
thanks it defienty made a diffrence but i dont see what he needed to cut beside his arm :crazy:

i might wait until i fully decied with direction im going with my front end until i lift it and maybe by then he has some pics up of what he had to cut becasue i just dont see anything that will get in the way

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i had my 1500 bumper raised before the HD clip. all i did was put some washers between the bumper and the frame. it didnt take that many washers. the side brackets need just to be loosened and retightened after it is adjusted. now with my HD clip, i have ZERO bumper gap. my grille touches my bumper, and my bumper touches my fenders. it is TERRIBLE. there needs to be SOME gap in there. the bumper is connected to the frame, and the body flexes on the frame. it needs a little room to flex. it is tearing up my HD bumper cap. especially if you custom paint, you will need some gap in there. if not, you will rub the paint off.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
your bumper flexes when you hit sides... you'll prbly have problems with it if you raise it:read:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2k1slvrdo said:
your bumper flexes when you hit sides... you'll prbly have problems with it if you raise it:read:
yep i forgot about that. i heard of someones bumper kinda sliding around when they hit sides i forgot who though

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
not just when you hit sides, it happens driving too. the frame and body are seperated by rubber mounts, it causes the body to flex on the frame. leave a gap of some kind, atleast 1/8-1/4 inch.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i didnt raise it up just yet because of the way it mounts on the bottom and i didnt fell like messing with the stablizer arms

whenever i put the ss bumper on I will raise it up but thats going to be awhile

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
lowred said:
not just when you hit sides, it happens driving too. the frame and body are seperated by rubber mounts, it causes the body to flex on the frame. leave a gap of some kind, atleast 1/8-1/4 inch.
mine goes from normal to like a 3 inch gap... to about a 1/2 an inch from touching on the other side... I'd just leave the bumper stock...

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
tuckin22 said:
i didnt raise it up just yet because of the way it mounts on the bottom and i didnt fell like messing with the stablizer arms

whenever i put the ss bumper on I will raise it up but thats going to be awhile
the stabilizer arms have alot of adjustibility. i was able to use the same ones with the HD clip, and i moved the bumper down over 2 inches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts