GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just trying to get everything together for next saturday. What tools will I need? Here is what I am thinking...
Spring Compressor
3ton Jack
6 ton jack stands
Socket Set
Air Tools
Torque Wrench
Wrenches

Honestly thats all I can think about at the moment feel free to add your comments. I dont think ill need any types of chemicals besides maybe some Lock tight since its a brand new truck it should all come off pretty easy especially with the air gun.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
A BFH is needed for sure... I used a 10lbs sledge to get my spindle off. You just need to put something over the spindle so it dont scuff it up alot. I used some thick welding gloves on the spindle and then when to town with the sledge...

I have a pickle fork that is suppose to seperate the ball joint but if you just loosen the upper ball joint nut and the lower ball joint nut and beat the heck outa it with the sledge it will let loose on the ball joints after a while... You will find this is the hardest thing to do on the kit, seperating the ball joints from the spindle... You can always put the jack under the lower control arm jack it up a bit so the coil doenst unload on you. If the lower ball joint seperates from the spindle first then you can take the upper control arm and spindle off together and not worry about busting it loose....

Make sure you dont let the brakes hang from the brake line, take it off the hub and tie it up to the frame. Also when you go to take the spindle off make sure you leave all the nuts on just a bit. with out the tie rod connected it will dange left and right and with out the upper ball joint it will fall down. So loosen all the nuts most the way off but not all the way so when it seperates it doesnt fall and it stays in place...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts