GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ladies love country boys
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says they won't turn. Front end is off the ground and the bolts have been drowned in WD40. They are kinda rusty but not that bad. I'm weary to using a breaker bar. I really don't wanna snap a bolt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
heat? can you tighten more? go back and forth if you can until you can get it loose

·
Ladies love country boys
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are loosened about all the way I wanna tighten them. Havnt heated yet. I might try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you tried using a torsion bar unloader to take the pressure off of your bolts.. there pretty easy to make instead of buying one. Mine were impossible when I first went to play with then. Unloaded the pressure and the came free.. still took some torque to break em loose but atleast I was able to after. Cleaned tye threads up and put new bolts in. Now there no problem to adjust

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
They take some muscle to move them. Keep in mind you have a lot of pressure on them. And wd40 is not the correct lubricant.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
And don't be afraid to use a breaker bar. I'd use that WAY before heat :imo

·
Ladies love country boys
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll prolly use the breaker tomorrow. I'm done dicking with it for the moment. Will update.

·
Ladies love country boys
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to use the breaker bar tonight snapped the bastard clean off. Enough of it is in there still that it's not sagging but obviously need to replace that soon

·
Ladies love country boys
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it is safe to say you used too much muscle
Common problem for me :pedobear: lol

Does anyone know what size/thread bolts they are?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Common problem for me :pedobear: lol

Does anyone know what size/thread bolts they are?
I think you have to get them from gm. I had no luck finding them at the hardware store when I broke one off.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
hope it was decranked all the way or else your in quite a pickle cause you wont be able to unload them and get the blocks out with the bolt sticking out of the top.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hope it was decranked all the way or else your in quite a pickle cause you wont be able to unload them and get the blocks out with the bolt sticking out of the top.
Not true. You will have to jack the lower control arm up as high as you can and place a jack stand under the frame, remove the tire of course, remove the lower ball joint nut and allow the lower control arm to swing down until the load is off the torsion bar.

Getting the half moon torsion nut out might be a different story though.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Ladies love country boys
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im gonna get an unloading bar and weld a nut to whats left of the bolt and try pulling it out without any weight on the key/bolt. its pretty well decrancked right now.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Put an impact on that nut RIGHT AFTER YOU WELD IT ON. The heat combined with the impact should zip it right out.

·
Ladies love country boys
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put an impact on that nut RIGHT AFTER YOU WELD IT ON. The heat combined with the impact should zip it right out.
thats the plan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts