GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 silverado 4X4, going to be putting on Belltech spindles and drop keys this weekend.

in my head, with the front suspension pulled apart to swap in the new spindles, it makes sense to me that there is no longer any pre-load in the torsion bars. am I off base here, or am I thinking right? would I still need a torsion bar removal tool to take out the stock keys, or will the adjustment bolt simply back out with no load on them?

thanks for the heads up guys. this drop has been a long time coming and I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I wouldn't pull the spindle off without the lca supported because the droop stops are on the uca. If you are taking apart the suspension I would start by taking all the preload off the torsion bar at the keys. You will be able to remove the adjustment bolt no problem, however you will need to be careful taking out the piece the bolt threads into. I used a big ass C-clamp after I took out the bolt, to apply enough pressure on the key to slide the piece out and I felt pretty comfortable using that. But to answer you question, yes you will still need some sort of tool even after the bolt it all the way out, as there will still be pressure behind the torsion bar.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use a 7 ton gear puller (Sears) for unloading and loading stock keys. I put the Belltech drop keys in without having to use the puller at all.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm still not sure as to why there would be any load on the torsion bars with the frame on jackstands and the wheels off the truck. I merely reference what logic I can put in my head and the how-to write up from silveradoss.com

He states "The torsion-bar front-end is much safer to work with than a coil spring suspension, as unloading the suspension by raising the vehicle will relieve all tension from the springs"

If I had the front frame jacked up on stands, like this article (and common sense) suggests, then there would only be downward force on the lower control arm, thus twisting the torsion bar away from the adjustment bolt of the TB key.

Again, I could be just overlooking the obvious. Sorry for my confusion and thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
"as unloading the suspension by raising the vehicle will relieve all tension from the springs"

Not true, even with the wheels off the ground and the bolt out there will still be some tension on the torsion bar as the key will be pressed up against the piece that the bolt threads into.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^^^This, I've done both lift keys and drop keys on my truck('05 Crew), and trust me there is still tension, pressure, load or whatever you want to call it on the bars even when the wheels are off the ground.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good deal fellas! couldn't get a torsion bar removal tool, but did find a 7 ton gear puller from an O'reillys. I've read over everything a couple hundred times, any last minute tips and tricks for the spindles?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts