GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
flight medic
1,457 Posts
crank your stock keys mine is actually sitting 1/2-3/4 in lower in the rear right now with 33s on stock keys. but that is a good kit for the price but save yourself some money and run your stock keys and replace the shocks. here is mine on stock keys
013.jpg

031-2.jpg

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Your ride quality will suck if you try to get more than 2". I cranked mine down to 1.5-1.75" because I hated the ride. Parts will be at worse operating angles, so yes, they will wear faster... Especially if combined with larger/heavier wheels and tires.

Keep in mind a leveling "kit" will do this too. The only way I'd crank more than 2" out of the front end is if I had the Cognito leveling kit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your ride quality will suck if you try to get more than 2". I cranked mine down to 1.5-1.75" because I hated the ride. Parts will be at worse operating angles, so yes, they will wear faster... Especially if combined with larger/heavier wheels and tires.

Keep in mind a leveling "kit" will do this too. The only way I'd crank more than 2" out of the front end is if I had the Cognito leveling kit.
Why yes with the cognito?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
It includes a new upper arm that corrects the ball joint angle and also comes with a larger/stronger ball joint. The arm is also designed to not rest on the droop stop, so you get more droop travel and a better ride quality than stock.

·
flight medic
1,457 Posts
the cognito kit is a good solid kit and the reason you need 4 shocks is because with the bars cranked your spring rates go up so the suspension rebounds faster and harder by putting a stiffer offroad shock it will help slow it down and allow the truck to ride better the cognito upper control arms are arched to move it away from the droop stop and correct the upper ball joint angle and allow a better ride esp when combined with the bilstein shocks. when you crank any torsion keys after market or stock it makes the ride stiffer. what the keys you showed will do is allow you to be level but not have the key bolt cranked up which is pointless. by cranking any keys with the stock upper control arms you will bring them closer to the droops and make them bottom out on the droop stop making the suspension a little more harsh. the best setup for a leveled truck hd is in my signature under my wanted list.

·
flight medic
1,457 Posts
http://www.norcaltruck.com/

best price i have found you can get the started kit for about 500 its the control arms and shock extensions in the front. if you add the bilsteins to it and the tie rod sleeves and pitman idler kit your looking at about 1000-1200 but its all great products that do serve a purpose. if you plan on wheeling the truck add the pitman and idler with the upgraded tierods. or at least tie rod sleeves.

·
flight medic
1,457 Posts
the control arms fit 01-10. give them a call and ask for nick he will help you out. but yea its like 460 with the shock extensions and its a good kit i still recommend getting better shocks but you can do it later on i also highly recommend the pitman idler support and the tie rod sleeves.

·
flight medic
1,457 Posts
its the same as the last setup you linked just instead of shocks it will have the shock extender. if you want to level the truck crank up your stock keys. they will do the same thing as after market keys. when cranking with stock upper control arms you need to make sure you keep them 3/4in off the droop stop to still have good travel. for the best ride and feel the only thing is the cognito upper control arms with shock extenders or bilstein front shocks with the control arms. only reason to replace torsion keys is if the stock torsion bars are worn out and sagging down when the stock torsion keys are maxed out. but your torsion bars are not worn out they are still new and your stock keys will get you level.

this is what i would do
cognito upper control arms
bilstein front shocks
bilstein rear shocks
pitman idler support
tie rod sleeves or end links

if your not going to be offroading the truck then stock torsion keys cranked up to level with some bilstein front shocks would do you very well.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts

This, everything he said is correct, above 2" usually rides like crap, up to 2" stiffens the ride a bit but isn't bad.
Why yes with the cognito?
Again Alden is correct below
It includes a new upper arm that corrects the ball joint angle and also comes with a larger/stronger ball joint. The arm is also designed to not rest on the droop stop, so you get more droop travel and a better ride quality than stock.
Everything he said here except the ball joint is in no way larger/stronger, it is actually a MOOG replacement piece for an OBS 1/2 ton truck, it is at a much better operating angle though which extends life, and keep in mind the UCA does nothing to correct tie rod angles, CV joint angles, or lower ball joint angles, all of which are also susceptible to accelerated wear from cranking.
So 460 but i only see from 01-07 mines an 09.
They probably just haven't updated the listing. They fit from 01-10, they didn't change anything in the suspension until 2011.
So will something like this be a bad idea will it be a bad ride? Bad angles??? http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=244077967
Bad idea? No. Waste of money? Yes. Bad ride? Depends on how far you crank it. Bad angles? Depends on how far you crank it.

I don't think you get the concept that those "leveling kits" are the same thing as cranking. The only thing they enable you to do is crank even farther than the stock adjustment allows, and are really only needed if your stock bars are so weak they won't get you the height you need. Out of roughly 10 HD trucks I have done, only one actually needed keys to get the height it needed, and that was on a 3500 Dmax, whereas both 1/2 ton trucks I have done needed it. Guess what...2" of crank and a 2" leveling kit produces the exact same height, exact same angles, exact same ride for $150 less.

The only worthwhile thing included in those kits are the shock extenders, which are just a band aid anyway. The only way I would use them is if the truck just ran off the assembly line, and had a good 50k+ left on the shocks, otherwise might as well spend a few $$ and get the right shocks for the applications without using the extenders.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts