GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white 2006 Silverado and the paint is peeling in a few spots. The two worst spots are on the tailgate and on the roof. Each spot is about 8"x8" or so. It is down to the grey primer, and is flaking around the edges. I would like to touch it up, and make it look half-assed decent and stop the peeling until I can repaint. Any tips, or advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Going to be real tough to make it look decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I meant to say was I basically want to stop the peeling from spreading, and cover up the bald spots with some kind of white paint. I just want it to look better than the current large grey spots.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Sand it, feathering the edges, then get a matched aerosol, prime, base, clear. You might try a blending aerosol as well to help melt the new clear into the old to make it less noticable.

·
Truck
265 Posts
If you just try and fill it in without proper prep and work, it will just peel off or not look right because of weathering. You'd have to have it properly blended in there.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
If you just try and fill it in without proper prep and work, it will just peel off or not look right because of weathering. You'd have to have it properly blended in there.
Either way it's going to be very hard for the average DIYer to get it to look right. Luckily it's on the roof so. If he follows the steps I described, he should be able to get it halfway decent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
On my old truck I peeled back what I could with my finger then sanded the edges, sprayed duplicolor primer, and then duplicolor color match and clear. Yes it was noticeable and not close to being a match however it stopped the peeling and kept it from rusting until I painted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts