GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How's it going all? New to the site. Thanks for lettin me join. I have a 2007 (not classic) Sierra 1500 Crew cab 2wd with a 4.8. I'm in the process of getting a bigger and heavier boat. I want to get a cam for my truck to help out the towing a bit. I had a jet boat before which wa easier but now it's looking more like a 24'-28' boat. My goal is to get closer to 400hp and 400tq. I was thinking that along with the cam I would install a set of 4.30 gears (I have 33's) headers, cold air intake, port n polish the stock throttle body a custom tune from Cunningham Motorsports in Lake Elsinore, CA. The HP & TQ numbers may be hard to acheive with out heads n intake manifold. Any input or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I thought about a 6.0 swap but, If i can get close to the #'s the 6.0s produce without pulling the motor that would be great. The blowers n turbos would be a lil too much $ at this time. Plus it gets hot where I will be towing and don't want to mess with a power adder too much in 100+ degree heat.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
There isnt a cam thats going to really help you with towing.

Your best bet would be 4.56 gears, Thorley long tube headers, exhaust, tune, etc.

Really the best choice is a 6.0 swap, the 4.8 doesnt have much bottom end and isnt going to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've swapped motor on other vehicles but, none on the LS1 side. What would need to be changed to go to the 6.0? Like a bigger fuel pump, injectors will any header work since I'm assuming the block is different then the 4.8? Would I need a header for like an SS Silverado? I figured on getting it programmed regardless. Also if I went with a 2000+ converter, more agressive cam and 4.30+ gears this may allow the truck to stay in the power band a little more as opposed to a stock 6.0. My parents and Brother in law had a 2500Hd with the 6.0 and they towed great. Both went to a diesel now.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'd just get a separate truck for towing. Just find an older F150 with an I6/M5OD and it'll pull just about anything with a 265lb-ft TQ peak @ 2200rpm. New cat (dump the old dual cat setup that flows like shit), new muff, timing bump would get you even more power... stock manifolds on it flow great but you could get a full length header too.

It's made to tow, the 4.8 is not. 4.8 barely makes 20lb-ft more but TWO THOUSAND RPM higher.

Parts are super cheap, theft deterrence is high due to age making insurance cheap as balls, the truck is super cheap in the used market, and it's easy as fuck to work on. I love my old F150 for that reason.

I agree with Luke on the motor swap, big gear (I'd do 4.88:1 with that 4.8), and smaller primary headers. But that's a lot of cash to drop into a pretty much new vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We drove a loaded down 1996 F150 single cab with a 1989 5.0 from Chicago to SoCal with that inline 6 and it did great. I like this truck cause it fits my family well plus it has great A/C. I don't mind putting $1500-$2500 into it to make it a better vehicle for my needs. I think I can score a 6.0 long block for $1200 (is that a good price? it has 56k miles from an 2004) and throw a cam, headers, cold air intake and tune on it for another $1500. If I were to do that what gears would you recomend?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
We drove a loaded down 1996 F150 single cab with a 1989 5.0 from Chicago to SoCal with that inline 6 and it did great. I like this truck cause it fits my family well plus it has great A/C. I don't mind putting $1500-$2500 into it to make it a better vehicle for my needs. I think I can score a 6.0 long block for $1200 (is that a good price? it has 56k miles from an 2004) and throw a cam, headers, cold air intake and tune on it for another $1500. If I were to do that what gears would you recomend?

Yeah $1200 isn't bad. Can you do the labor?

I'd still do at least 4.56:1 gears with the 33s, I have the same. The boat isn't light combined with people, cargo, etc.

I see used F250s with 460/ZF around for $2500 or less too. :shrug:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will do the swap myself. I just found a motor (longblock) without acc and wiring for $700 that I may snag this weekend. I'm goona look in to a cam kit from thunder racing. I'll see what type of long tubes will work aso. I can get around the smog situation. I think after the swap is when I'll do the gear change to 4.56's so I can get it dyno tuned. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this combo minus knowing what cam I'll be getting. Any input on a cam would be great. Has anyone ran a thunder racing cam? I do appreciate all the help I've gotten so far. Thank You.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wasn't planning on getting another one. Should I go to a different converter? I know that some shops can loosen up your stock converter is that something that you can do on these converters.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
I would get call yank and have them make you a converter in the 32-3600 area that can still tow as much as stock and then get a tr220 cam from thunder racing. :imo

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Sounds like you're going a good route there! I think you'll be pumped on the results if everything is done right. That 6.0 swap is going to net you way better results, and much more potential than your 4.8 every had.
I'm running a TR220-112 cam in my 5.3 and I like it. Would have a bit milder characteristics in the 6.0, but might be better if you want more down low towing, versus me reving it a bit in my 5.3. I've also got a Yank 3600 stall, and soon 4.30's with my 33's.
Good luck! let us know how everything goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I will be getting a converter then maybe a divorce. LOL. I'm stoked to see the outcome of this all. You guys have been a great help. I was looking at getting the double springs for the fact that if I have to cob the truck up a grade it may hold 3rg gear for a while at like 4600+ RPM. Ya I'm getting pumped for sure. I'm sure I'm gonna hit a problem or 4 while I do all this. Gonna take off a monday (fri-monday to allow the swap) to do this so if I need any parts I can get to them on a monday as opposed to a sat or sunday.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Gear first.

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
couple of questions... i dont know if its big deal but i've heard here in california you need to get the same year or newer if you swap the motor. also, if he did go to a older year, would he have to change anything since its a gen IV? i know there is no visual difference, but just throwing it out there.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just realize, your stock trans isn't going to like the extra added input torque. Be ready.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What would be the next best thing to do to the trans as far as making it able to handle the added torque? I've noticed some mention of the 80 as opposed to the 60. I'm assuming that all 1/2 tons have the 60 and 3/4 tons and up have the 80? Is that correct? Are these a straight forward swap?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
What would be the next best thing to do to the trans as far as making it able to handle the added torque? I've noticed some mention of the 80 as opposed to the 60. I'm assuming that all 1/2 tons have the 60 and 3/4 tons and up have the 80? Is that correct? Are these a straight forward swap?

There's a lot more to it than just swapping one for the other. I wouldn't bother unless you plan to make some huge power.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts