GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bumpin into suff
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1999 ECSB Z71 with 3.73 gears. The truck is great, but It just won't tow my toys like I would like it to. I have a 21' Sea Ray open bow (approx. 4700lbs) and a lifted Jeep Wrangler, closer to 5300 lbs after trailer gear and all that. The truck is lifted 3'' and has 315-75-16 terra grapplers on it. Like I said, the truck is great, just can't tow as easily as I would like it to anymore and I know these truck are known for tranny problems. I am looking at a 2003 Denali XL that I can pick up cheap. I can't find consistent info on towing capacity for it though. I am finding anywhere from 5000 to 8200lbs. That's a big variation. Can someone please help me out here. Thanks

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Please tell me you aren't towing both Jeep and the boat at the same time?

·
Bumpin into suff
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely not. I probably should have worded that better. I tow the boat to a few lakes around the KC area, and a few that are a few hours away. And I take the jeep to Offroad parks all over the place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Time for a duramax

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
my tahoe has 4.10s with 22s and it pulls my 20ft car hauler loaded just fine, it will cruise at 75-80mph all day long, i pull more with it than i do with my ford haha

·
FoTfive'dpokinoutdaside
2,294 Posts
Regear :imo and if you could find a suburban or yukon xl towing capacity it might be the same or even similar.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Definite gearing issue.

I can tell a difference in final drive between my 600 CTD with 35 and 3.73's compared to my parents 600 CTD but with 285's and 3.73's.

·
Bumpin into suff
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand I can re-gear, but what I am saying is that I don't want to do that. I would rather get a different vehicle with more room and power. I am not talking about a suburban or Yukon XLl, I'm talking about a Denali XL with the 6.0 and AWD. I am trying to find the tow ratings on this. I would re-gear but I am afraid of my transmission. I have 186k miles and every now and then it has the infamous ''hard shift'' from 1st to second and second to third. So I would rather get rid of it before it blows apart on me.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
my mom has a 06 denali xl with the 6.0 3:73s awd, you shouldnt have any problems pulling that boat or your jeep, weve pulled our 21ft boat and my yj on a 18ft car hauler and done good for a gas truck, the rear air susp is nice since it will level it out. im out of town so i cant find out exactly what its rated for but when i get back thursday ill go check.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
to give you an idea the nnbs denali yukon xls are rated at 7900lbs towing capacity so im sure the nbs are pretty damn close to that.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Why woulf you rather spend more on a new vehicle than regear your curent one? Regearing will help overall performance towing or not!

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
So you are wanting to get rid of the truck and get something else that can tow better?

IMO regear the truck and if the tranny goes put a 4l80 or beefed up 60e.

·
Bumpin into suff
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also work out of my truck, I do mobile electronics and I carry a lot of stuff tools, product, etc. and I could use the room. Along with two other things. When I tow the Jeep to some of the parks I go to, I would rather camp, and I could sleep in the back of it, along with that I have a Doberman and he is way too big for the ext cab of my current truck, not to mention, I would just really like to have something that will tow better, with more room than an ECthat I can carry more of my work gear in. I'm sorry I didn't give all the details, I didn't realize I would need to.

My room mate and I were talking about the 4l80e swap last night, is that a plug and play or is there a lot more to it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts