GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to drive from Cali to NC and going to be towing my two seadoos. I have a lifted 02 Chevy silverado with the 5.3. Lift is 6 inch RCD with 315 tires. Any tips and should I use the tow/haul setting? I had used it some but seems like it bogs my truck down more with it on then with it off. Thanks for any tips or advice.:bowtie:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm not exactly sure on the specifics of what the Tow/Haul button does, but I did ride in my uncles' 04 silverado when he was towing his boat quite a bit. He only used it when on a hill or accelerating from a dead stop at a decent rate(when he had to pull out into traffic on a 2 lane road), that type of thing. When we were just cruising along at 60-70mph, he kept it off and the truck pulled fine. Of course this was a stock truck, but it did have the 4.8. Just try to keep it so the tranny isn't constantly shifting in/out of one gear or another and you should be alright :imo

·
Registered
424 Posts
Last time I tried using my tow haul with a loaded trailer, it was fine in the city but when I got out on the freeway for a bit I noticed my temp started climbing so when I turned it off, the temp came back down to normal. Moral of the story, once your up to cruise speed, probably don't need it..

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Mine will knock fillings out your teeth in tow/haul with my shift-kit when it shifts. I only use it for really heavy loads like tandem axle trailers when I get into hills.

·
this
1,584 Posts
Tow/Haul basically acts kinda like a higher staul TC. Makes the engine rev higher to shift and doesnt allow the TC to lock up. WIth that little bit of weight just make sure you check the tranny fluid every time you fill up for gas and smell to make sure it doesnt smell burnt.
You can allows manually lock it into 3rd and just drive a little slower.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Put it in 3rd and use tow/haul when accelerating. If a vehicle has t/h mode I always use it anyways just for the higher shift points and my heavy foot and it hasn't taken out any tranny's I'm aware of. I didn't notice a whole hell of a lot of difference with it on other than slightly firmer shifts though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts