GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hooked up my 34' trailer and the hour drive from the pickup spot back to the house it ran 180-196 degrees. Its about 9,000 pounds. Im headed to Colorado, just wanted to know at what temp i should start getting concerned.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Probably, but it's not very big. Go look un front of your radiator on the support, you should see a little 6" by 5" thing, that's the cooler.

Mine is roughly 3x the size of the stock one. I tow a boat on 105* days and it doesn't get over 185-190

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yeah I'd say 230+ you should think about stopping to let it cool. Anything below that and you're fine. If you maintain a speed where your converter is locked you'll be fine. The only time I see my trans temp shoot way up while towing is when I'm either in stop-and-go traffic or pulling a hill with the converter unlocked. I have a 40k Tru-cool cooler though and have yet to see my trans temp over 185. If yours heats up on this trip you should think about upgrading the cooler.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'd say 230+ you should think about stopping to let it cool. Anything below that and you're fine. If you maintain a speed where your converter is locked you'll be fine. The only time I see my trans temp shoot way up while towing is when I'm either in stop-and-go traffic or pulling a hill with the converter unlocked. I have a 40k Tru-cool cooler though and have yet to see my trans temp over 185. If yours heats up on this trip you should think about upgrading the cooler.

thanks. how can i tell if my converter is locked or unlocked?

How much was your 40k tru-cool cooler?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RPM jumps around in overdrive, you'll be able to tell.
oh ok, gotcha. I was going to take it out on 35W by the racetrack and test it out see if I need to make any adjustments.

Do you know of any place local around here to get this tranny cooler? or get it installed?

Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler
# LPD47391 Tru-Cool 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 with 3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs)
*No external thermal bypass*Great choice for southern states where the winters are mild.

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/M...egory_Code=trucool-MAX-cooler&Product_Count=2

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Temps aren't that bad seeing is how it's hot as fuck currently in Texas. Consider dropping down an OD (or just into 4th if you have those 3.42:1 gears) if you can to pull it, you should have that 6L80E.

It should run cooler and keep the truck from hunting for gearing.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Just so everyone knows, many of the transmission gauges in the clusters are shit. They're the exact same as the coolant tempt gauges. I have an aeroforce scan gauge and Efi live so i'm able to tell down to the 1* how hot my transmission is. My escalade cluster will read 180-185* at times and I've seen my transmission temps as high as 210* when it showed that. Just be advised because the stock gauges are made for idiots that don't know how to operate a vehicle.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Just so everyone knows, many of the transmission gauges in the clusters are shit. They're the exact same as the coolant tempt gauges. I have an aeroforce scan gauge and Efi live so i'm able to tell down to the 1* how hot my transmission is. My escalade cluster will read 180-185* at times and I've seen my transmission temps as high as 210* when it showed that. Just be advised because the stock gauges are made for idiots that don't know how to operate a vehicle.
:word: for the NBS.

But for the NNBS it's a digital readout that's accurate down to 1* like you said.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts