GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I towed a pop-up trailer 2460lbs with this bich this past weekend up to cencal and it did fine. I did however notice that trans got up to 223 and engine got up to 240 when climbing over some mountains. First time towing anything and just wondering if its expected. It cooled back down 190s trans/ 210 engine after getting on top or leveled surface.

Its an 08 5.3 2wd lifted 8.5" on 22x12 35s stock gears with a pedal commander set at sport +3 (which is freakin awesome btw)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,249 Posts
Seems pretty normal assuming it has 3.08, 3.23, or 3.42 gears. Id throw a 40k trans cooler on it though if you plan on towing it often as 220 is pretty warm. Or throw 4.56 gears in it... thatd be alot more fun than a pedal commander.

·
woo
215 Posts
Engine temp seems warm to me, but if it went back down i guess its nothing. Does yours have the factory trans cooler?

This past week I towed in 95+ temps with hills/traffic and the trans stayed at ~150. Only hit 180 once and that was after a couple hills back to back. Engine temp pretty much stayed at the 210 mark. Trailer weighs around 7500 and Im running 285/55s. Im also running a trucool 40k.

IMG_20190719_182324.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, 4.56 is something I might do to get more miles per tank outta the truck, and I'd bet it would do better when towing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@George: I don't know if it does, but my guess is not since it heats up like that. I'll take a look this evening after I wash her up

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Motors going over temp, for sure and that’s not normal. That canned tuner is blocking out the IAT spark tables.

I pulled a 36 foot goose neck behind mine for years and have never seen those temps.

·
professional grade
4,060 Posts
I’ve had the trans in my 11’ 5.3 up to 235...which is warm but the truck will should tell you when to back off. It’s been said that around the 280 mark is when shit starts to hit the fan. I wouldn’t press your luck though.lol. Your engine seems to be running a lil warm though, even at 235 on my trans after pulling some really steep grades, my engine temp was only 215-220.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No canned tune on it yet.
Topped off the anti-freeze before the trip and still ran hot only on the steep climbs, bout twice.

Maybe it was my approach, because on the way back, I ran at 75 before hitting the climb and it climbed at 2300-2400 on the tach and it didn't heat up. When it heated up was when the motor was running 3500-4000 on the tach on the climbs.

·
woo
215 Posts
@George: I don't know if it does, but my guess is not since it heats up like that. I'll take a look this evening after I wash her up

Your light bar in the grill looks like its going to be sitting right in front of the cooler if ya have it. Could be part of the problem. :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
No canned tune on it yet.
Topped off the anti-freeze before the trip and still ran hot only on the steep climbs, bout twice.

Maybe it was my approach, because on the way back, I ran at 75 before hitting the climb and it climbed at 2300-2400 on the tach and it didn't heat up. When it heated up was when the motor was running 3500-4000 on the tach on the climbs.

Explain what a petal commander is then?

·
Super Moderator
5,617 Posts
It’s an over priced devise that plugs into your obd2 port that increases your drive by wire throttle response... same thing you can do with a tuner. But without all the other benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Explain what a petal commander is then?
Fixes the throttle lag by adjusting its response. Doesn't connect to the obd port, but to the throttle port on top of the gas pedal. Look it up on youtube.

You can find them used for 100$ like I did. Would never pay 300$ for one. Hell to the naw naw naw!!!

Found 2 already, one for the rado and one for my tahoe for 100$ each. Just have to be patient

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I tow my 5K boat frequently on a lifted nnbs. It has the factory trans cooler and still has factory 3.42 gears. My engine nor tranny have ever gotten that high. I am Florida where it’s mostly flat though. The most my tranny has ever gotten was in the 190’s. I have towed anywhere from 30 min to 2.5 hours. Never has been a problem. Look into a Tru cool 40K cooler and regear. I am planning on going with 4.10’s one of these days...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tow my 5K boat frequently on a lifted nnbs. It has the factory trans cooler and still has factory 3.42 gears. My engine nor tranny ever get that high. The most my tranny has ever gotten was in the 190’s. I have towed anywhere from 30 min to 2.5 hours. Never has been a problem.

Yeah, I think we've come to the conclusion that the light bar is blocking the trans cooler and possibly causing the rise in temp. We'll have to see if that's the case next time I tow something, after removing the lightbar.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Gears, my wifes Tahoe on 35"s tows my truck and gear to the track at 7000+lbs no problem. It also tows our 7500lb camper just fine.
It has 4.56 gears, it has a cammed L33 but even with the stock motor it did fine

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts