·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which tires would be the better choice?

Toyo Open Country MT (33x12.50x20)
or
Nitto Trail Grappler MT (305-55R20)

Road Noise, Tread Wear, Traction, etc...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I like my Toyos better than my Trails because of tread design and they seem a little quieter... but if you don't want to shell out the extra coin Trail Graps are still good tires

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
My Trail Graps have gotten me out of everything I've ever gone into...hills, rocks, sand, mud, etc. They have a bit of a hum but its not obnoxious at all. Great tire :imo I would buy them again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search. Upper right hand corner
I have been and cant seem to find any thread that compares the two directly its always toyo mt with nitto mt i found one thread that said some guy had 40,000 on his trail graps with still half tread which i find to be BULLSHIT! so i decided to ask for myself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I really like my trail grapplers so far. They seems to grab hard off road and dig down pretty well. I have them on a 2wd and I havent had a problem getting out of stuff where my previous terra grapplers failed. They start to hum around 30mph, they seem to be the loudest at 55 - 60 mph and at highway speeds they are a bit high pitched but tolerable. If you are worried about mileage and noise you should stick to a all terrain. The guys at the tire store said they had installed thousands of them and only 1 complaint in several years, and it wasnt the tire it was the dudes alignment they he did notice was out til he went to mts. They claim on average people get 40 - 45 thousand out of them if you stay religious on maintenance ( pressure, rotation, alignment, ect ) I hope to see 40k, if so I'll buy them again and again.

Another plus for the TG, is they arent on every other lifted truck in town. I seem to notice the Toyo on more than 75% of the lifted trucks out here in my neck of the woods. I also see more mud grapplers than trail grapplers as well. I think the tire stores around here push sales on the toyo a lot more than nitto, but maybe im wrong.

·
I abuse drugs.
3,327 Posts
I was going through this same situation myself...

imo the Trails are a more aggressive looking tire due to the side walls, again just my personal opinion here. Two of my friends on 35s (FORDs) are running both,and you can clearly see the difference. idk if it's just me but the Toyo's are great but they been out awhile so i'm just used to seeing the lug pattern ALL over the place (mags, forums, shows, locally ect)

They both wear around the same I was told. I do hear the trails going down the road a tiny bit louder than the Toyo's though. I ended up buying 37x13.50x22s in the Trails, because when I saw them both in person, face to face... it was clear. I've been reading some great reviews on the Trails since the release. The Toyo's have there share of write up's/reviews since they have been out awhile & are great tires as well.

I used these to help make my decision:
Toyo Reviews:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/toyo/open+country+m/t
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Toyo-Open-Country.htm
http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/of...s/long-term-tire-report-toyo-open-country-mt/

Nitto Trail's Reviews:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Nitto_Trail_Grappler.htm
http://www.consumersearch.com/suv-tires/nitto-trail-grappler-mt

* Also I ended up running searches on 8 other forums for both tires to again; finalize the decision. After seeing them in person, face to face it was easy.

Good luck sir!
There is hope, a member who searched! :worship:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
they're both great tires...friend has em on a leveld 01 f150 and i've got the toyo mt...his have wore quicker than mine have (had em both bout a year and a half). I've put almost 25k on mine and they're still more than 50% tread so i figure i'm doin pretty good with em and they seem to be a lil quieter than the TG...both have good lookin tread design but you're right, toyo mt's are every where compared to the TG

·
GMFS Member
372 Posts
If I had a dollar for ever post about which to get out of these too....... I'd have like 6 bucks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well back to gmt400.. seems like alot of you guys on gmfs are a bunch of dbags. :shitsweak: but thanks for those of you who actually help. and btw if you see a post your only gonna post negatively in dont post in it ;)

·
Pinkeee
549 Posts
I have been and cant seem to find any thread that compares the two directly its always toyo mt with nitto mt i found one thread that said some guy had 40,000 on his trail graps with still half tread which i find to be BULLSHIT! so i decided to ask for myself.
I'm the guy that said I have 40k on my trail grapps. I took pics this afternoon. These tires have 43k miles on them today! I consider them half tread, maybe I'm smokin crack. You tell me.... Now I will say this, I don't crawl on rocks & I don't mud bogg! What I do is drive down potholed country roads, hay fields, shit hole dairies & nice dairies with with medium rock gravel driveways. (fyi, these tires love to pick up rocks!)
Overall I give these tires a 10 out of 10.

·
broke,..me, not the truck
156 Posts
Try to find the weight for each. You can't, it is classified.

My 295/55 20 Trails weigh 73lbs. New.

Pics, owner comments on here, reviews on discounttiredirect.com, and seeing them in person helped me pick the trails, over the Toyo MTs, and I had them last time.

·
I abuse drugs.
3,327 Posts
well back to gmt400.. seems like alot of you guys on gmfs are a bunch of dbags. :shitsweak: but thanks for those of you who actually help. and btw if you see a post your only gonna post negatively in dont post in it ;)
We helped you, and like a smart member said, they are both run by the same company, so getting either would be relevant to the other. I personally like the trails for a leveled truck, simply because I didn't have to trim with 32's, but hey that's just me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Pinkee very helpful stuff I think I'm gonna go with the trail graps and I already knew that toyo made nittos but just because one company makes another doesnt mean theyre better or worse. And considering the Nittos are cheaper I would think its either just the name brand like Infinity compared to Nissan or theyre cheaper because they are lower quality. But thanks for all the comments its just frustrating I've been trying to research what tires and wheel size to buy for the last month and It's nice to be able to ask a question where people actual post pics and their own experiences instead of just saying "Toyos" or "Graps". Maybe they just like the look or maybe they've never owned the other or maybe theyve only had them for 2 months... etc..

·
Rusty Shackleford
384 Posts
90% of the post you get regarding anything on there will be opinion based what the person has run. I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that has run both those tires on the same vehicle, with the same rotation patterns. But just like you said, I think the Toyo brand is just their premium brand. Both tires are going to be heavy because they are both mainly offered in E load range in the larger sizes. My main concern when picking a tire is the actual rubber compound and how it's molded. I haven't done much research on the Nitto's because I wasn't interested in buying them, but the Toyo's are made with sectional molds which is how performance tires are made. It's supposed to make a more round equilateral tire that requires less weight to balance. Both tires you will find people that swear by them.

As far as size is concerned, look in the members rides section and go over all the trucks till you find one that you like. Then simply pm the user the size or ask in the thread.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea i was doing that problem was that I was looking at 20x12 fuel octanes running with only a 3"bl 2" block and tbar crank. Happens that I only found one and he has apparently been out of touch for quite some time so i never heard back...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts