GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some more cons of doing a bodydrop this way instead of doing a stockfloor?
I know you will loose headroom but

it seems i can get a tradtional done for about half as much as an stockfloor

im still thinking about it but i might put off bagging the truck until i can save some more money to get it bagged and bodydropped all togeather.

another thing im kickin around is that with a 4-link im afarid of hitting the rims on the bedsides if one side happens to go down too fast compared to the other if i decided to wait and get it bodydropped

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
You lose some legroom too.

You have the correct backspacing on your wheels to tuck, so you shouldn't have a problem with hitting the bedsides bodydropped or not. If the 4-link is setup properly there will be minimum side to side movement of the axle anyway. Is Ekstensive doing a triangulated or parallel setup on your truck?

Would you honestly consider putting a 2-link on just so you don't have to worry about your rear-end shifting side to side? Fuck that, the rear axle is not supposed to be locked into place with a shitty 2-link. Articulation is your friend. :D

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Flare your rear fenders slightly and roll the lips all the way up if you haven't already. And Bag it now.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Downfall said:
another thing im kickin around is that with a 4-link im afarid of hitting the rims on the bedsides if one side happens to go down too fast compared to the other if i decided to wait and get it bodydropped
I don't think you'll have any problems with this. It would be no different than hitting a side. When i do a side the fender has MORE room for the wheel (except on the inside, tire slightly rubs if the side is big enough on the backside of the wheel/tire.)

Everybody talks bad about the panhard bar, but when it is setup at ride heigth it has no problems for me at all. The only time "side to side" movement of the axle is really noticed is when its all the way up, and it really doesn't matter for tire clearance then :crazy:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
Flare your rear fenders slightly and roll the lips all the way up if you haven't already. And Bag it now.
Bingo.

In most cases I'd recomend a stock floor based on how much cleaner they look, and head and leg room. in an ext. cab you can get away with the head/leg room issues easier than a reg. cab. I'm over 6' and I'm fine in my truck. In a friends reg. cab it wasn't too bad. It was livable, I'm not sure how it'd be as a DD or on a long trip though.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will agree a stock floor does look cleaner but im just not too thrilled about totally replacing the frame or having a new one from the firewall back either. im thinking in a major accident the newer frame wouldnt be as good as the stock highly engineered one jmo

i have a little time to think about it i might just bag it and put a bigger system in and get it ALL shaved up and maybe a lil paint and be done with it for a little while

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
you will never be done...

I don't like body drops. I have seen very few body drops that have come out well. Almost every single truck i have seen body dropped, the body lines never match. It does look cool however. But if you were ever in an accident, it would be a bitch to repair. My truck will never see a body drop. Just something to think about:read:

·
Registered
110 Posts
i am a fan of body drops i am thinkin about stock floorin mine but either way i just got done helping my friend b/d his s-10 and it wasn't daad the are alot of differences in his truck and mine but either way it wasn't that hard and everything lined up perfect, but as far as your tires hitting your bedside make sure your wheels are have the right offset and back spacing that is an expensive fix so buy wheels with research and i like the four link the best and on mine i had the same problem of my wheels hitting b/c i didn't research my wheels and that is why i wen with a two link

1 - 9 of 9 Posts