GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the fuse is located for the factory-supplied wiring harness for electronic trailer brake controllers? Mine blew when hooking up my Tekonsha Prodigy to my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the Duramax. It had power momentarily until I inadvertently touched a contact to metal, blowing the fuse. I've pulled dozens of fuses, and nothing is labeled logically, all to no avail. Help, anyone??

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
as long as ive been doing these, ive never heard of a fuse, try the fusible links under the hood in the electrical center, but i dont believe there is one. you are supposed to run your own 10A fuse in your power wire to the brake controller. i install the drawtite digital brake controllers everyday at work using the supplied harness, and havent ever blown anything on a truck in 3 years. some of the harnesses are built wrong on the 2003/2004 trucks, and have to have the brake wire run directly to the white wire on pedal switch. some have to have the power wire moved in the plug... did you have power in it for sure at any point?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it had power at appeared to be working correctly briefly. What is a fusible link and where would it be located?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Did you check all the fuses? There is a 30A large fuse in the underhood compartment that is for accessory (such as trailer wiring). It is where I stole power for my power seat.

BTW, I used to work at Johnson Screens off old hwy 8 in new brighton. nice area.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
the fusible links are the big fuses in the underhood box.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Josh said:
the fusible links are the big fuses in the underhood box.
Actually, fusable link is a wire that melts under current. The underhood box has "maxi fuses". I don't know if there even is an actual fusable link in the NBS trucks.

"The traditional fusible link is a short section of wire that has a smaller diameter than the rest of the circuit. When current flow in the circuit exceeds that of the fusible link, the wire melts and interrupts the circuit. This type of fusible link is becoming quickly obsolete, as many carmakers have opted for newer technologies such as the cartridge style fuse element or maxi fuse. When a fuse link “blows”, it must be replaced."

This definition fails to mention it is s special wire, not standard copper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jebx, you were right. There was a blown 30 amp "maxi-fuse" under the hood. I installed a new fuse and that took care of the problem! Just in time too, I'm driving to Chicago to pick up a new 39' camping trailer, and I need the brakes to be working for that!

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
jebx said:
Actually, fusable link is a wire that melts under current. The underhood box has "maxi fuses". I don't know if there even is an actual fusable link in the NBS trucks.

"The traditional fusible link is a short section of wire that has a smaller diameter than the rest of the circuit. When current flow in the circuit exceeds that of the fusible link, the wire melts and interrupts the circuit. This type of fusible link is becoming quickly obsolete, as many carmakers have opted for newer technologies such as the cartridge style fuse element or maxi fuse. When a fuse link “blows”, it must be replaced."

This definition fails to mention it is s special wire, not standard copper.
makes sense... i knew what i was saying, just used the wrong words LOL. ive replaced real "fusible links" in my 88-98 trucks.(damn cigarette lighter always blows the one for the WHOLE interior when my phone is plugged in.) i just heard someone call a maxifuse a fusible link. and picked up on theyre terminology... thanks for the info! :head:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts