GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put trailer brakes on my truck this weekend and I had a few questions. Does any one know if an 01 GMC is pre wired for T brakes? I normally just run a wire from the box to the plug in the back, but a friend on mines ford already had the wires ran. If it is what do I need to look for to find it?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Your's should be wired already. If it has the 7-pin round plug on the hitch out back, then it is. You'll need the short harness that plugs into the box under the dash, and that splices into the brake controller harness. If you don't have that harness, you can get one at the dealer.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my T brake box just has the wires coming out of it. Is that what I need or am I going to have to buy a new box?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
You need to get the harness from the dealer that ties to that harness coming out of the box. That harness plugs into a harness box under the dash just above where you're left foot is when you're driving. It should have a black cover over the top of it, with one large nut that you can unscrew with your fingers, then the cover snaps off.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the harness and I started wiring it up to my box, but there is 5 wires in the harness and only 4 fron my box. I have narrowed it down to 1 wire I think. It is brown "Brake Controller Illumination" I don't know what that is.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks. I was worried for a min. there. I am going to put it on tomorrow. I think it will all work when I get done. Thanks for the help.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help John. It works great. Best 60 bucks I've spent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts