GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually spend my time lurking in the shadows of the forum and answer any questions using the search feature. Now I have a question that I have not been able to find any information about. I have a 2001 Silverado that did not come equipped with a tow package. I purcahsed a receiver hitch with the weight distribution bars and a prodigy brake controller (Which I have plugged into the correct fuse box). The only thing left to install is a 7 way connector on the silverado were the trialer plugs in. I have located the wiring harness above the spare and there are only six wires.

BRN - Park Lps
GRN LT - Backup
GRN DK - RT Turn
YEL - LT Turn
WHT - Ground
BLUE LT - CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp)

The plug has the following terminals

Ground
Left Turn
Taillight
Backup
Auxiliary
Right Turn
Electric Brake

Does this mean that I have to run a wire for the electric brake controller? Were would it hook up? What does the plug company mean by Auxiliary? I have to tow an RV from San Francisco to Oregon tomorrow and hope that I am not up a creek. Any information would be appreciated.

·
this
1,584 Posts
The auxiliary is if you are running like reverse lights or something on the trailer that needs power. No, you dont need it for the brakes to work.
I run a 4 prong pig tail for the turn/brake lights on my trailer and a 7 way prong for just the elec brakes.

Im kinda confused by what you are asking about where does it hook up? Do you mean on the trailer end? You only need a positive and a ground for them to work. It doesnt matter which is which as long as each brake line is connected to either. Make sense?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just got done hard wiring the the brake controller. The part I was confused about was that the controller just plugs in on 2003 Suburban and the same with the seven pin connector in the rear. On the 2001 Silverado there is no wire for the positive lead on the brake controller. I just ran a wire along the frame rail to the proper pin on the connector. I was a bit confused on the pin out of the connector. I tested my dad's 7 pin on his 1995 Silverado and there is no pin dedicated to brake lights. The right and left turn signal leads just light up solid and the parking lamps are on a seperate pin.

NEW PROBLEM
I have everything connected but I am not receiving any voltage at the connector. I checked the fuses under the hood and everything was good and I am receiving voltage at the fuse box. I guess that I will start tracing it back to see were I am losing the voltage. It is a PITA because the wiring is tucked tight into the factory looms. Good times.

·
Da Experimentor
351 Posts
you shouldnt have to hardwire the controller to the rear. all of my trucks have come with an adapter that you wire up to the controller and then plug straight into a panel under the steering column. almost looks like a fuse box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know were the brake controller plugs into the fuse block (next to the brake pedal). I plugged it in and no lights. Hooked up a voltmeter and no power and no signal whe the brake pedal is used. I also did not have a wire at the rear of the truck for electric brakes (should have been dark blue). I think that since my truck did not come with a tow package, it was never wired for electric brakes. The reason I was not getting voltage at the plug was due to a bad ground (always start with the simple stuff). After a late night of troubleshooting, I now have the trailer connected and I am hitting the road back to Oregon. I appreciate all of the input.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
the red wire (B+) constant voltage, and the dark blue (trailer brake) SHOULD be under there, and possibly hidden back in the loom. the easiest way to tell is under the hood the other end of those wires should be there not connected to anything and just taped to the main frame harness.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
If you are not getting voltage to the BLUE line out back for brakes your brake light swith hookup mught not be a solid connection. I just hooked up a tekonsha (SP?) in my buddys dmax. heres how i did it.
Brake controller wires.
Black= 12+ power source
White= Ground (battery-)
Red= Brake light swtich input
Blue= Brake power output

Factory harness that comes from GM
red= 12 volt power
Black = ground
brown= illum
White= brake light swith input
Blue= brake power output

here is my connections
barke box--> harness
black--> red
Red--> White
White--> Black
Blue--> Blue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.