GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 99 dodge rcsb in december. Last week the tranny went out. so i carried it down to the local shop (budget transmission) to get an estimate on fixing it. the guy told me that is was gonna cost $575 to rebuild the tranny labor included. well the guy called me today and said it was ready to be picked up. I went down there with 800 cash in case their was any extra parts they had to get. the guy told me the total was $2,316.00. WTF...

What am i supposed to do about this? the guy told me 575..... 4 days later its almost 2500 bucks....any ideas?

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
did you have that original price on paper? if so, you can defiantely refuse that $2k+ price.

a local place tried to do the same to my buddy a few months ago and tha's what he did.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Around $2000 seams to be average around here for that kind of truck but they cant do that. If you have that $575 quote on paper and they didnt call you to tell you it would be more, you dont have to pay.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
if you have a receipt for the estimate and they never called or talked to you about extra price fuck them. don't pay thats for sure

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't think to get it on paper. 575 sounded like a pretty legit price. i called down there and told dude not to touch my truck anymore. he said that if i didn't pay, that i wasn't getting my truck......what an ass. contacted BBB and also notified police that they "might be gettting a call"

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I'd settle it through a lawsuit if things get out hand.

Hm, maybe the guy that you talked to BSed you.

In my Free Enterprise class, I just learned that Bait and Switch advertising is illegal. You can pull the 'Bait and Switch' saying that he said you would pay 575, but when it was all over with, it would be 2k+. I actually don't know if you could pull it, but it's something to try, or think about.

I don't know otherwise. Maybe, it 575 just for rebuilding the tranny (labor included that is) and mounting and hooking up as well with Labor. And it could have turned up $2k more for that combined.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
pulling and reinstalling a trans is about a 250$ job...not 2000$ job, so even if that were the case, i still cna't see it being over 800$ of the initial quote was 575...

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
pulling and reinstalling a trans is about a 250$ job...not 2000$ job, so even if that were the case, i still cna't see it being over 800$ of the initial quote was 575...
:word: but $575 for a complete trans rebuild on a 99 which means an electronic trans, is just unheard of around here.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
if they give you an estimate, either verbal or written, the final price must be within 10% of the estimate or you can refuse to pay.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
plus his warranty was 12 months ............

i found online that a remanufactured tranny with a 3yr, 75000 mileage warranty for $1,050.00... i could have gave someone 300 to put the damn thing in....this guy is a crook and everyone that i've told around here say that the change the name and relocate there business about every 2 years. They feed off of military people because of the turnover rate.

I'm afraid that he'll destroy my tranny or take shit out of it if shit goes sour. i'm going to the shop in the morning.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
The Dodge trans is pretty simple, should be a 46RE. $2500 = laff at a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I have the 46RH in my Jeep GC w/ the 5.2 and it was about $1100 to rebuild it w/ a new converter and a 2 year warranty. That was them taking it out and reinstalling it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So whats the verdict??? Im curious to know what happend, Id prolly call up my dads friend to show up with me in his Srgt. uniform or something along those lines and demand my tranny back and just pay him what was said at first.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
if they give you an estimate, either verbal or written, the final price must be within 10% of the estimate or you can refuse to pay.
I have heard of this, too, but not sure if it applies where you are. That's why I always give the dealerships and service centers spare keys, the business PO Box address, and leave no registration in the glovebox. Act dumb, I'll just drive my car/truck out of there when they're not looking. "Repair shop? I never took my car to any repair shop."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts