GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my tranny rebuilt a few months ago. From day one, it slipped a little bit in reverse and had a ticking coming from the tranny. I took it back, had him look at it, and he couldnt find anything wrong. Last night, im driving around in Tulsa, and i hear it slip when it shifts into 2nd. Its kinda weird though, you can hear the drive shaft chattering when it slips, same thing its doing in reverse. Every now and then, it would miss a shift when i was getting into it. It hasnt done that in a while though. Is there anything that i could do to fix it myself? He done some different stuff to it. Disabled the 4th gear accumulator piston, 4L60E front pump, and did some other stuff to it here and there that i dont remember. To me, it almost sounded like there was just a bit to much space in the clutches. but, i dont know, im no tranny expert. Would it be possible to get new steels and clutches and put them in there and be good to go or does it sound like somthing jacked up in the valve body?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just went out to mess with it a bit, the fluid is a darker color which is expected as its slipping like a mo fo. The truck will move as long as the clicking/ticking sound is there, but once it stops, it wont move. Im thinking front pump is fubared. Any ideas>?

·
Slow and Steady
9 Posts
I'm no guru, but I'm having my fair share of tranny issues lately....

Could be that and/or your 2/4 band is not engaging. I had mine rebuilt the end of Sept 2006 (shell gears sheared - lost 2nd and reverse) and last week noticed mine started slipping (3k-4k after the 12m/12k warranty ran out).

Tranny shop thought it might be just a matter of increasing the valve body/line pressure via the EPC solenoid. Turned out my 2/4 band was/is not engaging. This band is involved with the 2, 4, and reverse gear engaging/holding. I didn't have the ticking you mentioned though. To fix the problem, it's basically a rebuild situation.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I worked on it a bit the other night. Pulled it into my shop and the ticking sound had gotten worse. It now sounded like someone was inside the tranny hammering away at something. I dropped the pan, put a new filter on it, cleaned up all the metal shavings in the pan and installed. I put a bottle of lucas and some tranny fluid. Drove it home, it was a bit better. Drove it yesterday, still acting weird, checked the tranny fluid, not on the stick, i added about 2 qts to it and now its back to where it was before it started fucking up last weekend. Also, the tick that was there, its almost gone, not near as loud as it was the other night. So my question here, what the fuck happened?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds to me like your tranny guy who built it didn't build it correctly. I would say bring it to a good tranny guy and have it re-done. We have several clients that went trough the same issues but with 2 or 3 shops lost alot of money, but now they are happy and cruisin with no issues. I don't know anyone in the oklahoma area. You are close enough where we could build you a unit and have you come get it.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after doing alot of thinking about it and driving it this week. I noticed i have to damn near put the pedal all the way to the floor to make it down shift. I just went out and tightened it up a bit, and it shifts better. We will see how long it lasts....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts