GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week or so before my tranny broke for the one millionth time it started to shift hard on the 1-2 shift. Well i got the stupid tranny fixed but it still is shifting hard like before. As much as i can tell it's only on the 1-2 shift but it's hard enough to jolt the cab each time. Before it started doin this is was very soft under light throttle and moderate under normal peddle.
Now quarter pedal rolls second over pretty good and WOT kicks the truck sideways a bit.
My question is what would cause it to start doin this? Note that sometimes it shifts just fine and it's nice and soft but most of the lately it's not nice at all.
Any ideas? i really don't want to break the tranny again. :bawl:

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
when you had it fixed did they put any performance parts in it? my 1-2 is really really fucking firm

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Damn Joe, not again man. Whats your line pressures at these days? Dont feel bad, I blew the 4L60E in the car a few months ago and the motor took a turn down south last night.

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,650 Posts
I saw today that HOTROD has a 700R4 swap now? Not sure cus i only read it for a min, But it looks like a choice now.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i know...... the tranny just went down a week and a couple days ago. Had it fixxed some shaft thing broke something that plugged into a drum or something like that i freakin know. Plus they replaced the band a clutch pack and something else small.
The tranny is a built unit SHOULD be able to hold everything i can throw at it and then some.
I have my line pressure at stock settings thats why it was so soft on the 1-2 at light throttle which i loved. But now it's suddenly shifting hard as a mofo and i don't know why.
It has the transgo shift kit and a vette servo of course. I have sonnox servos for it but neer had em put in cause i liked the shift as it was.
I just want to try and figure it out before it breaks something else shifting this hard.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn Joe, not again man. Whats your line pressures at these days? Dont feel bad, I blew the 4L60E in the car a few months ago and the motor took a turn down south last night.
My tranny has been down three times since it was built. Once for a broken output shaft, then the pump blew up then this last time the band and so on.
What happened to the motor in your car though dude?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Accumulator could be jammed.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can i check that?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My tranny has been down three times since it was built. Once for a broken output shaft, then the pump blew up then this last time the band and so on.
What happened to the motor in your car though dude?
Damn that sucks. Motor has a valvetrain knock and i either blew a head gasket or cracked a head that I know of thus far, Ill know more once I yank it out and tear it down. Im sick of it now, car will probably be for sale here once its back up and running.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn that sucks. Motor has a valvetrain knock and i either blew a head gasket or cracked a head that I know of thus far, Ill know more once I yank it out and tear it down. Im sick of it now, car will probably be for sale here once its back up and running.
That sucks man. How did you manage all that? Spray or did the motor just go?
I hear ya on being tired of it though. Yov'e had alot of trouble in a very short amount of time.
My truck is beginning to wear me down as well.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
How can i check that?

Drop pan. Should be a small cup, three ~8-10mm bolts. Where the washers go, that's the 1-2 accumulator. The 2-3 is within the servo I recall, and the 3-4 is up in the case on the other side of the plate.

Now you guys see what I have more than one ride. Shit gets boring after a while.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That sucks man. How did you manage all that? Spray or did the motor just go?
I hear ya on being tired of it though. Yov'e had alot of trouble in a very short amount of time.
My truck is beginning to wear me down as well.
It just went, ive never sprayed the car, hell i sold the kit I had for it a couple months ago. My dad hinted selling me his truck so thats looking like a nice option at the moment, but I have plenty of time to decide. Oh well, ya pay to play :bawl:

·
Registered
676 Posts
That sux for both of yall!!! I hate it when something bad happens to my ride, you just kind of get a weird feeling in the pit of your stomach, like how much is this going to cost! My tranny has been shifting hard through 1-2 for quite some time but it only does it when it gets hot, say after about driving for 40+ mins. Joe i dont really have any advice but im just curious, you say if shifts hard sometimes, does it do it when it gets warm or just randomly do it? I would deffinently be pissed if i had it rebuilt with all the stuff youve done to it, GOOD LUCK!

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Damn Joe... you have about the same luck as I do... hope it comes back together for you soon!!

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sux for both of yall!!! I hate it when something bad happens to my ride, you just kind of get a weird feeling in the pit of your stomach, like how much is this going to cost! My tranny has been shifting hard through 1-2 for quite some time but it only does it when it gets hot, say after about driving for 40+ mins. Joe i dont really have any advice but im just curious, you say if shifts hard sometimes, does it do it when it gets warm or just randomly do it? I would deffinently be pissed if i had it rebuilt with all the stuff youve done to it, GOOD LUCK!
Mine does it cold hot whatever....it's just a random thing. It can shift nice and easy one shift and the next 10 shifts hard as hell. Not really sure what the deal is but it's at the shop for now.
I'd hate to drive it like this without having everything checked out for any bad parts.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the help guys. Got the truck back and it's shifting like normal again. It was a sticky accumulator valve.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Hrm, I said that. :D

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
My 700R4 will chirp tires at 1/4 throttle on the 1st-2nd shift and kick the back a little bit a WOT :D And I havent even put the vette servo in yet :read:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts