GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night i get in my truck and try backing out of a parking spot. I pop it into reverse and it didn't move. I thought i was fucked and my reverse went out. I put it into park and did it again but this time it engaged. I then put it into drive and it didn't move so i put it back into park. Shifted back into drive and it went.
Wtf is going on? I'm hoping it was a fluke but i'm pretty sure my tranny is on its way out :bawl:

·
Registered
703 Posts
well both of those are next to neutral and reverse is in between park and neutral and i remember ur shift lever was different after the BL it could just not be actually engaged...did you try goin from park all the way to 1st and have it not work? cuz if it were to not go anywhere after trying that then your tranny is definatly gonna take a poop

·
Registered
601 Posts
Check the fluid level, smell and see if it burnt. Also, the tranny will have trouble codes just like the engine. Check and see if there are any. Verify the shift linkage is working properly at the transmission. The cable could be bad or the mount could be loose.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Check your shift solenoids too, Reverse clutch pack is only used when you back up...other wise it's just there. So it pretty much has no wear on it.

Like someone else said, could be that you just missed the correct spot on the linkage too.

How many miles are on the tranny? You service it on a regular basis?

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i was just tired and didn't get it in the right spot cuz I didn't have issues today.

I know it probably hasn't been serviced and am going to get it flushed in a week or 2. I just rolled 90k

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Hrm, I'd be weary of a flush at 90K...

·
Registered
601 Posts
There are two schools on tranny flushes.

1. Just drop the pan, chang filter, and replace the fluid. Con: Not all fluid is changed

2. Flush. Con: Some say on an older transmission that has not been serviced being flushed can lead to premature failure.
Pro: Exchanges all fluid in tranny.

The bummer is that different people/places will tell you differeing opinions of what is better.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I flushed mine at 124,000 miles. It screwed up the solenoids. Replaced those and its been perfect for the last 35,000 miles.

I wonder if the shift linkage could be out of whack...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Exactly, a flush could do more harm than good. I'd just do a fluid and filter change...then drain the pan farily often.

I change my fluid every 10K and filter around 25K. The filter is only a screen for the valve body to prevent metal filings from going into the VB and jamming it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wouldn't go for a flush, screws more times than not, i wouldn't flush after 50k or so, maybe not even that late. Check the linkage and try not driving drunk :crazy: jk My suburb has problems engaging, but i know its my linkage. Good luck with it

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is kind of funny that the dealership i took my truck to did not even notify me of the risk i was taking by getting a tranny flush @150k miles :pow: ...Good thing i'm one of the lucky ones :D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I actually dont' regreat flushing mine at 124k. It only cost 100 bucks to do the solenoids, probably could have gotten by with just cleaning them out. Its nice knowing though that the fluid in my tranny is only 2 years old, not 10.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had my 99 Z-71 trans flushed @ about 100K and now it shifts Kind of funny. Its always worried me. :pissed:

It shifts OK in Tow/Haul just slow shifting other wise. Could it be the solonoids? It doesn't show any codes so GM says every thing is OK. :nono: I've had the truck since 30K and I know something is different. :think:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Why would the dealer notify you of any potential problems with a flush? They want your money and are crooked as can be around here sadly.

When I owned a '99 NBS before the '01 that I have now, it shifted slower internally than the '01 did stock.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Slvrpismochevy96 said:
Why should they have notified me?? Because my dad knows everyone down there and is good friends with the family that owns it.

Well you left that out of your first post...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts