GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing my tranny oil cooler line now, but I have a problem. I cant get the top line off from the radiator, the metal line with the nut holding it on, It just wont budge. I am using a open end wrench and I have not tried a flare nut removal wrench because I could not find one. I put a lot of pressure on that nut and it will not budge I feel like I am going to break it off. Any help is appreciated.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
New ones just use a lil e-clip to pull the ATF cooler lines.

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
New ones just use a lil e-clip to pull the ATF cooler lines.
Word. Its a helluve lot easier then unscrewing the coupler out of the radiator. Just dont loose the e-clip.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, theres an eclip? i dont see how it would go on there. You sure it doesnt unscrew? There is a flare style nut from what I can see. It s a 200 so it may still have old parts.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
my 2000 didnt have e clips on the radiator either. I wasnt using that end anyway so i cut it off so i could use a socket on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Are you trying to connect so the new cooler takes oil from the rad ? If so forget it , run cooler on its own .

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed my tranny cooler, and I am going to have it run in a series as in, the tranny oil goes to the radiator cooler first then into the b&b cooler in put in front of the AC condenser. So your saying run the b&b alone without the radiator? Ive read that you should run it in a series for best cooling.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was in the tranny business, We never used the radiator in series we always used a quality cooler with decient size independent from the rad . .

I wont get into debates of what is better but i can tell ya almost all tranny shops do it that way .

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see what you are saying, but I dont think my b&b cooler is big enough for that. anyone else shed some light on this?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yes I'm sure, I've removed and installed about four radiators for these trucks. It's under the plastic collar.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your right! I looked closely, it is a damn eclip. Took it off and of course I dropped it at night in the driveway, eventually found it. So, how am i going to get that rubber hose to get on there? Should I cut the line a little down from the radiator connector and flare each end and put the rubber hose on them? What way have you guys done it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts