GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2000 Sierra 5.3 with 49,000 miles. Lately, I think the transmission has started slipping. When I have been going up any hills or grades, it starts to stutter and buck a little. The tachometer goes from about 1.5 to 2.5 and back very rapidly when it should be shifting. Is this a common problem? Does the transmission just need flushed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does the fluid in it smell burnt? My guess would be to flush it and change the filter. Mine just went out a week ago at 72,000.. it wouldn't shift out of 2nd and it was a 2G fix but I also got a bad ass shift kit put in.

·
Banned
487 Posts
if the fluid is burnt, do NOT change the fluid.

If your fluid is burnt, your tranny has a short time to live. And believe it or not, replacing the fluid will shorten it a lot more.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
TAke it to a tranny shop and havethem look at it. I hd a problem ith mine where it would just drop out of gear, the engine would redline and i would slow down, then it would kick back into gear and who knows what else. It was the solenoids, 100 bucks later and its been perfectly fine the last 30k.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
NastyGMC said:
if the fluid is burnt, do NOT change the fluid.

If your fluid is burnt, your tranny has a short time to live. And believe it or not, replacing the fluid will shorten it a lot more.
True.
You shouldn't be having to much trouble with just 49K unless your tough on it. Check the fluid then flush her.
See if that few bucks will save ya a new tranny, maybe it will.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot, guys! I'm having the fluid checked and the tranny flushed this week. I had my brother drive it up the road and he says he thinks a belt needs tightened (at least, I think thats what he said). Anyways, I will have it looked at this week. I'll keep you guys posted! :gmfs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts