GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you read right, the FLT LVL 5 is shot as is the 9.5" PI converter.:nono:

I sent the trans back to FLT for them to do a refurb on. As far as I can tell (and the guys at FLT) the converter took a crap for sure this time. The trans is getting healthy again as we speak and my custom braided stainless cooler lines are being made up... So thats underway.

PS, thanks FedEx for the awesome delivery job on the trans... yeah right, but thats a whole different story.

Here's my dillema...
-A. Get the existing converter rebuilt for $225 plus the cost of whatever's hosed up inside there... The cost could end up WAY up there by the time its all said and done with going that route. And I still have a single dick converter in a 4500lb 400+ whp truck...yeah, not going to last long.
*Ending cost: $225+whatever parts are broken+27.90X2= :insane:

-B. Get the existing converter upgraded to a multi disk (3 disk) for $385 plus whatever parts are messed up again.. .with the upgrade it'll get a new front cover (all billet) and all the guts needed to make it multi disk.... but whatever parts they have to reuse that are toast will have to be replaced... costing even more loot on top. By the time its all said and done, the cost could end up as much as a new converter.
*Ending cost: $385+leftover needed parts to complete build+27.90X2=:bawl: :insane: :flame: :think: :nono:

-C. Just forget about this converter all together and chalk it up as a loss.... buy a new converter... 9.5" 3800 triple disk for LS1/65E
*Ending cost: $934+27.90X2=:nutkick: :down:

-D. Buy a Yank for less $$ but never personally had one. Driven 2 trucks with Yanks, and liked them great!
*Ending cost: $ who knows until I loook around for some deals....

I wave the "You get what you pay for" banner all day long and it bit me as well, I got this one second hand for cheap and it didnt turn out to last too long for me. Not the sellers fault, Thats the way it goes sometimes. I'll only have a Yank or PI Vig in my vehicle so please dont respond with, this guy's making X converter for $300 and its in X car and running great etc etc...I just really dont have a G to drop on a converter right now.

Thanks for hearing my mini-rant :rant off:

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
i vote C.

you really have some shitty luck with trannies!! after my third 60e i vowed never to own another one again!

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude, I have had terrible drivetrain luck... I'm seriously getting tired of this shit. I'm on #5 or #6 of the 60/65 version and the FLT trans is holding just fine, if the converter would let it. I may end up doing a t-56 or 2004R swap if I ever outrigh break this trans. Which is likely with my luck...

converters 2 - me 0
Trannies 5, 6? - me 0
rearends 2 - me 0

I'm on a serious losing streak here.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just called up Yank... their SS series is $725... I think I may be going with this one... plus it comes with a free cooler (available to LS1Tech members) I think a new SS3600 is about to be ordered for this guy... just got my last W2 in yesterday... time to file.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Why do you need a multi-clutch? Are you locking at the top of first and staying locked (like me :D)? If not, I don't see the need.

Will PI warranty it like new once reman'd, regardless of clutches?

Also, I thought you said the unit wasn't balanced properly or some shit?

A stock T56 isn't going to hold up in a big power truck. A 200 will need to be all out, but this can be done for $2k if you pay someone I bet.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree, you dont need a multidisk TC at all if you ARENT locking the TC at WOT.

peace
Hog

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you need a multi-clutch? Are you locking at the top of first and staying locked (like me :D)? If not, I don't see the need.

Will PI warranty it like new once reman'd, regardless of clutches?

Also, I thought you said the unit wasn't balanced properly or some shit?

A stock T56 isn't going to hold up in a big power truck. A 200 will need to be all out, but this can be done for $2k if you pay someone I bet.
yeah, the converter never felt balanced properly the whole time I ran it. PI will give me 90 days once they rebuild it. Any of their brand new converters come with 2 yrs... as do Yanks. I just really want to go with something different. The Yank is a 10.5" converter which is probably what I need in my truck anyway vice the 9.5"er... I loved the way it revved with the small converter but the larger one wont be bad and the extra clutch surface area will definitely be needed... I dont think I'm going to lock this one at WOT no matter which one I get. I wanna make it last a little longer.

the T56 idea was out there but to have it built up seriously to hold the power, I dont want to spend it... FLT says all my clutches and band look like brand new... the metal from the converter just took out the pump.... so... it'll be reinstalled.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Id go with a Yank or PI, I have owned both and have not had any issues with either, but I have managed to fry some 60e's in my day lol. I just sold my PII3800 To Eric, and I have a Yank SS3600 sittin in my garage That I Pulled from my car when 4th gear went out. I love the SS3600, although my car needed something bigger. Oh well, I have a T56 in there with no worries, the next auto transmission to go in my car will be a th400.

Edit: My roomate is running a Yank Pro Truck 3200 in his cammed/sprayed 5.3L ECSB and it is one hell of a good feeling converter. You wont go wrong with either company IMO.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am putting an order into Yank for an SS3600 as soon as my return comes back.... I need more than a 3200 stall mine's a cam/spray 5.3 ECSB as well but my cam likes more than a 3200 converter from what I can feel...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I am putting an order into Yank for an SS3600 as soon as my return comes back.... I need more than a 3200 stall mine's a cam/spray 5.3 ECSB as well but my cam likes more than a 3200 converter from what I can feel...

Yea his needs a little more converter also, The 3200 is almost good enough for the 226/226 cam, oh well, it runs 13s @ 99mph N/A all day long.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Id go with a Yank or PI, I have owned both and have not had any issues with either, but I have managed to fry some 60e's in my day lol. I just sold my PII3800 To Eric, and I have a Yank SS3600 sittin in my garage That I Pulled from my car when 4th gear went out. I love the SS3600, although my car needed something bigger. Oh well, I have a T56 in there with no worries, the next auto transmission to go in my car will be a th400.

Edit: My roomate is running a Yank Pro Truck 3200 in his cammed/sprayed 5.3L ECSB and it is one hell of a good feeling converter. You wont go wrong with either company IMO.

That one I bought originally then traded to Dan for Ben's TT3K. Then traded the 3K to VicRed. :rofl2:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That one I bought originally then traded to Dan for Ben's TT3K. Then traded the 3K to VicRed. :rofl2:
Yea I know :LOL: I need to get Vicred to buy my Yank SS3600, I think his truck would realllly like that converter. :read:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Faze wants that TT3K too. :gayfight:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Faze wants that TT3K too. :gayfight:

Yea I talked to Austin last night, he said he had a list of people wanting it LMAO, He also bought a PI 3500 multi disc verter :head:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yea I talked to Austin last night, he said he had a list of people wanting it LMAO, He also bought a PI 3500 multi disc verter :head:

hahaha, hope it says on the board. When my 60E gives up I am going to make sure the 3800 stays on the board. :anitoof:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts