GMC Truck Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today was interesting. I was going to change the oil and then do a fluid change on the trans also seeing that I was going to install my B&M trans cooler. Well, I got under there and low and behold the prior owner had mutilated the drain plug bolt head something terrible (I just got this Tahoe 2 months ago). I tried everything I could but no luck. So I had to take the pan down the old fashioned way, full of fluid. Once I got it out and cleaned up I tried again to get the plug out but it wasn't going to budge. To solve the problem and never have to deal with it again I hammered a 9/16 socket on the damaged bolt head and welded it to the flange.....problem solved! The plug came right out. Now the next time I have to drain the pan, all I have to do is put an extension in there and take it out. This worked so good I may weld a socket on the drain plug for the crankcase on the next oil change. I got the B&M cooler installed with no issues and no leaks. What a day!

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Pics would be great.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
I use this for that issue.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
That's an interesting idea. I've heard of welding a socket on to remove a difficult bolt, but I've never heard of leaving it there and reusing that bolt with the socket still welded on.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
lol jesus christ. or you could do what I did and just replace the plug for $6 from the dealer, and don't torque it down like an asshole next time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't torque it down like an asshole......try reading the post. The prior owner did it. I actually have a new plug sitting on my work bench but decided I wanted to leave this one in because I plan on draining the fluid and changing filters often through the next series of oil changes because not knowing the full history of the vehicle I wanted to cycle the fluid in stages. And before I get blasted on that.......I am doing that based on advice from guys on here saying doing it a little at a time over a series of oil changes.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
I didn't torque it down like an asshole......try reading the post..
Oooh! Whoops! I totally missed that! ........

Still doesn't change what I meant one bit :high5:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
doesn't matter.....really don't care what you think.

38,662 posts since 2005????
that is about 9665 posts a year
805 posts a month
27 posts a day

glad I have something to do with my time vs. sitting on here putting annoying posts up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you guys have no sense of humor......

I tried to put a post up here on a topic that many guys have had an issue with.....that damn drain plug in the trans pan. I know many guys have had issues with getting them out and I am getting my balls busted......

everyone is a tough guy on their computer.........Ben

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
:uhoh:, I just wanted to see a pic of how this came out. :think:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.