GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GMFS Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 silverado 5.3 with 4l60e.
Yesterday is started slipping in 4th randomly. Manually shifted it to 3rd to get it home. Checked the fluid and it was fine, wasn't burnt or anything. Let it cool for about 2 hours and went to see if it was maybe an electrical issue. Got about 3 miles from my house and "Transmisson Hot" came up on the DIC so I threw it in neutral and coasted to the side of the road and had it towed.

Would it be cheaper to start replacing parts in it or just get a re manufactured trans? I have a tech book and I've installed a TransGo shift kit in another transmission before, but I'm no transmission expert.

Anyone have a clue to what might need replaced?

EDIT: forgot to mention that I got a price of $1250 for a reman (with core exchange)

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
should be able to get a tranny cheaper than that. I can pick up a fully built one for $950 with converter and core. Regular price, or $1300 installed OTD.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I just picked up a reman with a 3yr 100,000mi warranty for 975 w/converter

·
GMFS Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend of a friend who is a GM Service Tech, came and hooked it up to the diagnostics, no codes. He smelled the trans fluid and it smells burnt just like I told him. He didn't even drop the pan and told me to replace the whole trans. I really wanted to tear into one and learn more about it. But I can't find anyone willing to help me out.

I have a SA tech book on it and I've been re-reading it. So far my only concerns are putting the clutch packs back together correctly but shouldn't be too bad of you pay attention.

Owell, might as well get the petroleum jelly and get ready for the ass :rape:

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
If you've got the time, I would go ahead and tear into it your self. the least it could hurt is a little lost time.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I replaced my entire trans with a used one from a wrecked truck. When I bought my truck mine had been recently rebuilt by a well known shop but still died quickly. At least the ones built at GM seem to last 80-120k.

·
GMFS Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think if my oil cooler line didn't burst, my trans would have lasted longer.

I found a place in buffalo that sells remans for $910 with converter. I'm going to tear my out this weekend and see what went wrong.

You guys that have rebuilt your own, did you replace all the bushings while you were in there or no?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I measured the bushing clearance against spec. After rebuilding three (for different vehicles) I've only replaced the bushing in the pump, rear bushing, and the center support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts