GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would i go about putting a trans temp gauge in my 99 silverodo 1/2 ton? couls i buy a autometer gauge and put it in the hole thats there for the gauge from the factory. and what would i need to hook it up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
well....i know that all the 4l60e's come with a thermostat in the tranny already. prolly just have to find the right pin and wire on the factory cluster harness and tap into that

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
WaitinToDrag said:
well....i know that all the 4l60e's come with a thermostat in the tranny already. prolly just have to find the right pin and wire on the factory cluster harness and tap into that
you dont wanna do that. The gauge and stock computer signals will get mixed up and the gauge wont work right and the computer might not also.

bggrnchvy said:
All 4L60e's have a pyrometer in them already!?! Where!?!
a stock temp unit, not pyrometer. A pyrometer is for checking exhaust gas temps

the 4L60Es have an output on the drivers side with a plug in it, put the sender there

·
I'd hit it
62 Posts
black4x4 said:
How would i go about putting a trans temp gauge in my 99 silverodo 1/2 ton? couls i buy a autometer gauge and put it in the hole thats there for the gauge from the factory. and what would i need to hook it up?
What R U looking to invest in this? Just get the Escalade cluster with the tranny temp on it and then have a GM dealer send that cluster away to have the milage programmed for a nominal fee and then put the cluster in when you get it back. It'll better than stock and you don't have to custom cut up anything.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
whats the fun in that?

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
a guy done this with a autometer gauge on ls1tech.com.........all nbs have sensors and are wired for this.......he cut the small black dead spot out on the cluster and put in a autometer gauge in .......looked stock worked fine

·
Registered
274 Posts
nekkid_hill_billy said:
a guy done this with a autometer gauge on ls1tech.com.........all nbs have sensors and are wired for this.......he cut the small black dead spot out on the cluster and put in a autometer gauge in .......looked stock worked fine
you must be talking about Daniel (01Thunder). i have seen it in person and it looks great. he said it wasnt that hard to do and not very expensive either

·
Registered
601 Posts
The issue with tapping in on the board is that GM uses what they call "class II data bus". You need a guage that understands the signal from the computer. That is how you are able to swap in an escalade cluster with a different speedo and trans temp guage and ahve them just work. There is a kit sold to add one, but it is $150. You could get a denali cluster and that has the same stock look as the current but with a 120 speedo.

The sensors on the tranny are cool, with a tech II you can actually see how many ft/lbs of torque are being applied live (how torque management is able to work).

Some class 2 info:

The data link connector (DLC) allows a scan tool to communicate with the class 2 serial data line. The serial data line is the means by which the microprocessor-controlled modules in the vehicle communicate with each other. Once the scan tool is connected to the class 2 serial data line through the DLC, the scan tool can be used to monitor each module for diagnostic purposes and to check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). Class 2 serial data is transmitted on a single wire at an average of 10.4 Kbps (10,400 bits per second). This value is an average, class 2 uses a variable pulse width modulation to carry data and, depending on the message, it may operate faster or slower. The bus is active at 7.0 volts nominal and inactive at ground potential. When the ignition switch is in RUN, each module communicating on the class 2 serial data line sends a state of health (SOH) message every two seconds to ensure that the module is operating properly. When a module stops communicating on the class 2 serial data line, for example if the module loses power or ground, the SOH message it normally sends on the data line every two seconds disappears. Other modules on the class 2 serial data line, which expect to receive that SOH message, detect its absence; those modules in turn set an internal DTC associated with the loss of SOH of the non-communicating module. The DTC is unique to the module that is not communicating, for example, when the dash integration module (DIM) SOH message disappears, several modules set DTC U1064. Note that a loss of serial data DTC does not normally represent a failure of the module that set it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
you could just buy a set of HD guages from me. they look like the normal guages except with the trans temp guage, and i cleared the needles too.
DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

·
Registered
711 Posts
i'm asking $250, but i will come down some. the milage is i think around 85,000, but you can have the dealership send it off to get everything programmed for you for not that much.

·
Dude on Internet
758 Posts
Id buy a gauge from Autometer and mount it on the drivers side pilliar between the window and the windshield. Autometer makes kits for doing this. They have mounting kits for 1 or multiple gauges. Check the website. www.autometer.com

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
onyx said:
bada-bing!!!

looks good.... i still opt for the escy cluster *COUGH* eric *COUGH* :anitoof:

:( Yup it's going to ya.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
hey lance you have directions on how you did that? would any style autometer gauge work? I really need a tranny temp gauge...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
onyx said:
i just need to find a stamp now.. its the only thing holding me back.. literally.

:anitoof: post office, grocery store, etc. :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
02denali said:
do you mean like this. autometer gauge. the gauge came with everything needed.

How much did that kit cost you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts