GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 1500 push button 4wd

Couple weeks ago the transfer case started leaking. Mechanic shop said the case has holes in it from corrosion and this is a common problem.

Who's had to deal with this at which route did you take?

They want $2000 to replace with a reman.

A mechanic friend of a friend does these on the side, and he said it's also common, but he fills the holes with JB weld and reassembles for $450.00.

Rock Auto has complete remans from $780-$1200. They also have what looks like 1/2 a case for $140.

·
Registered
729 Posts
assuming your model transfer case is the same or similar to mine, if your holes are in the back side case on the output shaft side, you may be able to just buy that case half and do it yourself. I had dropped mine, split the case and put in the merchant auto pump thing to prevent the oem pump rub. When the pump rub happens then the fix for that i believe is just buy a new case half. And having done the work with putting in the merchant auto pump, it's not hard to do. hardest part is getting the transfer case off transmission and onto bench, then using good snap ring pliers to release that one snap ring. look up pump rub transfer case merchant auto it's all documented with pictures to give you an idea. mine was nv246 or nv248, 2006 sierra 2500hd 4wd.

·
TTG shawty
3,101 Posts
case should be aluminum, no holes from corrosion... you must have the "pump rub" issue... the pump rubs a hole in the rear case half. You can just buy a case half off ebay, then buy a "case saver" to put inside and you should be good to go. I did this on my '01 2500HD a few years back

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
As mentioned, sounds like pump rub. Case is magnesium so it can't be welded or anything (hence people plugging the hole with JB weld) as if heated magnesium can and will burn. I would get a new case half and install the Merchant fix kit and be on your way.

The cheaper route would be to plug the holes with JB weld and install the MA fix kit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info.

I will check ebay for the back 1/2 case and see if it's cheaper than Rock Auto. And look for the Merchant Auto Kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts