GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 98 chevy silverado, we replaced the front diff (which had a crack on the the rod that connects to the cv joint) now the Transfer case locks up when its on 4HI, the 4LO does not engage. maybe an electrical problem. it feels like only the RR tire locks up its confusing for me because im still new to working on cars. please help, id really like to get my baby running on all 4s again. (2wd still works btw)

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
"which had a crack on the the rod that connects to the cv joint"

What?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me put it this way. My front diff busted on me because there was an oil leak and i never checked it so it gave out on me. we replaced it and the transfer cases locks up on me in 4x4. Makes sense?

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Is the front diff locking up or the transfer case? How did you confirm what was actually locking up?

What gear ratio is the new differential? What was it previously? Did you hook everything up properly? Who did the differential swap?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my dads mechanic says its the transfer case. It would make sense because i can still drive it in 2wd so it cant be the front diff. As far as diff ratio i do not know. we had him come back and look at it and he claims its the transfer case.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Is the front diff locking up or the transfer case? How did you confirm what was actually locking up?

What gear ratio is the new differential? What was it previously? Did you hook everything up properly? Who did the differential swap?
This^ Ratio Ratio Ratio

my dads mechanic says its the transfer case. It would make sense because i can still drive it in 2wd so it cant be the front diff. As far as diff ratio i do not know. we had him come back and look at it and he claims its the transfer case.
If the transfer case worked before, the "mechanic" may be ignorant.
What was that front diff out of?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fire the mechanic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts