GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TTG shawty
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
transfer case has some slack and has been making a constant "cackling" nosie while driving so instead of paying $800+ for a USED transfercase i would rather rebuild it... anyone know of a good source to buy a complete overhual kit?

its a 2001 HD silverado with the 5-speed and manual floor shift case. did not find any on ebay

found this but still not exactly sure what i need? im sure if it needs a rebuild that i will need the chain and all the bearings, but i was hoping to find it all in one package... i know now that i will probly need either one of the "fixes", but wont know untill i pull the case off and apart...
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transfer_case_replacements_and_parts/np261.html#TransferCaseSaver

·
TTG shawty
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is this little square hole supposed to be there?
Photo05261550_1.jpg

Photo05261550.jpg

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
thats a hole worn into the case, theres a TSB on the problem, I just don't have access to it any more, but yeah, that's bad

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
You fell victim to pump rub. (you will need a new rear case) they are like 300 alone :bawl: and then new pump rub kit and then what ever else you burnt out.

Call Merchant Automotive have the best kits around and can tell you what you prob will need.

http://www.merchant-automotive.com/transfercase.aspx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the referal. The transfer case you described is a 261XHD
In the Merchant Automotive section here There's a video that expalins the problem.
There's not really a rebuild kit(different parts wear out and get damaged all the time) but we do stock just about everything needed to rebuild the Transfer Case. And defently take the time to install the MA Transfer Case Pump Upgrade Kit so you don't have another hole wear through a new rear housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts