GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 silverado 5.0l. about a month ago my tranny went out. I had a 4l60e in my garage i bought on craigslist (big mistake) for my other truck. When we removed the old trans and did the swap, counted splines, it was a direct fit and it was good to go... for 2 weeks. then that that one lost all its gears...

so I took it to Transmissions Only here in sacramento. 1600$ dollars later the guy 'repaired' it and i got the truck back. it drove great for a week, then it started having a problem....

when the truck is cold, like after going to sleep at night, coming out next morning cold, when you put it in reverse out of the driveway, then put it into Drive its in 2nd or 3rd gear... and when i start driving, it will not go into 4th. Also when i get off the freeway back into town, i try putting it in 1 2 and 3 and it still dosnt bring it down. so the light turns green, im in 3rd gear pushing on the gas. so when im on the freeway doing 65mph at 3200rpm im guzzling gas. so after i get to where im going, if i shut off the truck for around 10 mins or more, when i get back in the truck it works wonderful, shifts no problems, downshifts everything.

I took it back to the tranny guy today and he plugs it into a Snap On Verus digital scanner thing. he showed the codes it was throwing:

- p0102 mass airflow sensor voltage low input
- p0740 torque converter clutch circuit open
- p0785 shift timing solenoid

when he repaired the transmission, he changed the tourque converter, both shift solenoids, gasket seal kits, transco valve correction, carbon fiber clutch kit, bushing kit, epc solenoid,pan filter, and atf.
we cleared the obd2 when i left the shop, and it did drive fine for 2 weeks with no problems at all. so after those codes showing, he did some bullshit on the snap on and it 'recommended' due to the other data it collected that my ignision switch could be to blame. is this true or do you think its bullshit? i kinda feel like hes giving me the runaround, but i just dont understant transmissions.... ignition switch is a 100 bucks and im not gonna buy it unless other people tell me that could be the problem...

im sorry guys i know this post it long, but i wanted to try and get as much info in as i could, pleeease help

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I am no expert either but I'm pretty sure that a bad MAF sensor can make the trans do some strange things.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am no expert either but I'm pretty sure that a bad MAF sensor can make the trans do some strange things.
im no expert either on the subject, but somebody else meantioned that too... i may look into changing that today

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
I would drop it off and tell him to call you when its fixed. tell him you're not paying for anything that doesnt fix it, but that you'll pay for book time on any parts and labor not trans related it takes to fix it. i too think it may be maf

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If you only have 3rd gear, thats indicative of the shift solenoids not getting power. There is 2 solenoids, and if both of them are unpowered, 3rd gear is the result. This is a key piece of evidence.

If you place the selector in 2nd gear, the trans should start from a dead stop in 2nd gear. Its called 2nd gear start, it helps us 2wd guys get going in the snowy conditions.

A MAF issue would cause shifting issues, but it wont cause a trans to not shift at all. You can drive your truck and have it shift even if you unplug your MAF sensor.

This could all be a simple electronics issue.
I am wondering why you are having all these issues AFTER the trans install. Was your SES light on at all before the trans issues?

peace
Hog

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would drop it off and tell him to call you when its fixed. tell him you're not paying for anything that doesnt fix it, but that you'll pay for book time on any parts and labor not trans related it takes to fix it. i too think it may be maf
The way it worked out is first he wanted like 2500 to do a full rebuild and i said fuck that. so i nickle and dimed the shit out of him into a 'repair' not rebuild and hew only fixed what he thought were the 'bare nessesitys' and is saying if the trasmission isnt working with these problems, its the ignition switch, and said he will not look at it until the ignition switch is fixed. i dont think theres SHIT wrong with the ignition switch. but i listed all the shit he did fix, which alking to other shops is right for the work he did, but he should be liable for the problem i have now

If you only have 3rd gear, thats indicative of the shift solenoids not getting power. There is 2 solenoids, and if both of them are unpowered, 3rd gear is the result. This is a key piece of evidence.

If you place the selector in 2nd gear, the trans should start from a dead stop in 2nd gear. Its called 2nd gear start, it helps us 2wd guys get going in the snowy conditions.

A MAF issue would cause shifting issues, but it wont cause a trans to not shift at all. You can drive your truck and have it shift even if you unplug your MAF sensor.

This could all be a simple electronics issue.
I am wondering why you are having all these issues AFTER the trans install. Was your SES light on at all before the trans issues?

peace
Hog
regardless of maf sensor involvment, i did change it anyway because it did need to be replaced.

when i click it in 1 2 or 3 it makes a clunk, but dosnt nessisarily shift to that gear... like il be on the freeway doing 65 at 3200 rpm, il exit the freeway, and when i get to a red light, i will try turning on and off the truck, shifting through all 1 2 3 d n and park and when the light turns green no matter which gear i put it in would still be like 3rd gear, or sometimes feel like second, but NEVER the feeling of first grabbing.

when the trucvk left the shop i cleared all the codes. and they didnt come back till 2 weeks later, but i do think its funny its throwing the codes i posted above. hes acting like its throwing these codes cause of an ignition switch... FUCKING IDIOT. this is the FIRST time in my life i havnt been ablle to fix something on my car and have a shop do something, and this is the hole i get in. 2marro im gonna lie to the guys face tell him a 'dealership' looked at the ignition switch and its fine. hes an old dude and is a fucking fagget, and thinks hes on some universe greater then the one we live in. i just need to figure out how to manipulate this fuck to fix whats rightfully his damn fault, without him trying to work me

i just need this shit fixed, NOW and im so frustrated i cant even begin to express it

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump? anybody else have any ideas of what to try? or how i should talk to this asshole about the problems? i just kno hes gonna try everything he can to not cover this on the 6 month repair waranty, but i just dont kno enough about how trannys work to keep up when the old man talks down on me. iv never been in a situation like this before, and i feel like a fucking idiot.......

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
wow, sounds like you got had. guys will pull, rebuild trans, and reinstall here for $1200 all day long.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, sounds like you got had. guys will pull, rebuild trans, and reinstall here for $1200 all day long.
DAMN! out here its like 2000-2500 for a rebuild , and i couldnt shell that much cash

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the last 2 days iv had a bunch of doctors appointments. but the last two days its shifted just fine.... very weird it makes me wonder if the MAF had something to do with it? But im pretty sure the truck will run and shift without it... Im gonna keep testing it each day and when it starts fuckin up again im gonna get the plug pulled (now that I know the correct way without breaking it, cause that would be real expensive and difficult to replace) and try to hardwire the pink wire(s?) to the ignition, then go from there.

does anybody know any further about that MAF ? To me it dosnt make sense, but im sure theres somebody on here that can explain if it could be responsible, cause it dosnt seem like it should to me, yet the truck has ran fine since i swapped it. is it just dumb luck? Big quinceedince(sp) and it has nothing to do with it? what do you guys think??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and i was right it started fucking up again.

On another forum, someone said it was typical for gms main ignition wire to be shorted or pinched and not carry enough amperage through the wire to make the transmission rwork right. He said ont he main plug, in the center row theres a pink wire that will test 12v with ignition on, and is the primary power for the transmission. so 2marro im running that wire, first thing in the morning. there are two pink wires, so when i pull the plug im hoping they both goto the same pin. if they dont im just gonna test them both with the multimeter with ignition on, and whichever is hot when ignition is on is the one getting tagged, then im running the wire to the column, putting a 15a fuse inline, and tap to the column ignition where my alarm and other accessories connections are made. Hope this works, if it dosnt I dont know what to try next, or what the guy at the tranny shop is gonna tell me to try. wish me luck, and post any other ideas you guys think it could be???

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
It is possible for the transmission to be tied into ignition. I remember when i was installing a remote start/alarm it said if the correct ignition wires were not hooked up it would cause tranny failure so you might be on the right track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts