GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I couldn't find any answers to this, and the Engine & Performance thread seemed best because the trannies are part of the drivetrain.

Here goes: what would be a better setup if trying to build up some decent horsepower from the engine. BTW, I think my tranny is goin out anyway.
Built 4L80/85E and Gear Vendors Overdrive, or GMPP 6L90E. Also, what would be easier to put, I know the 80E will bolt right up, it's what I've got now, but would the 85E and the 6L90E need a lot of work?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
We don't know about the 6l90 yet and honestly I've never heard of a 4l85e(4l80e with 5 pinion planetary?).

Why would you need anything more than a built 4l80e? The fastest silverado in the world is running one and he hasn't had a bit of trouble from it.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
90E is just a beefed up 6L80E as far as I'm concerned. We have no data yet as stated... The 80E with a built valve body, cooler, etc. Should hold more than your motor is good for. It's a tank.

85E's came in Suburbans and Avalanche. As far as trying to seek one out, spend your time elsewhere.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, sounds like a good bet then to go for the 4L80E...

I had planned on doing an LSX based build up when I get some time and cash but it's looking more like any engine I build will end up in a project and I'll get a new Duramax. Who nows.

Thanks again

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
So if the truck isn't laying out 500rwhp, why do you need to swap the trans to the 80E? The guts to go through a 60E to make it fairly beef are only around $450-500 for parts.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if the truck isn't laying out 500rwhp, why do you need to swap the trans to the 80E? The guts to go through a 60E to make it fairly beef are only around $450-500 for parts.
It's a 2500HD...already has the 80E; just to clarify...That was the reason for the 80/85/90E. Only threw the 85 in there 'cus Bowler Performance has a built 80E that'll handle 1000ft/lbs and the 85E handles 1200ft/lbs. Doubt I'd put that out, but insurance is always good right?

Thanks again for the advice.:cheers:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
It's a 2500HD...already has the 80E; just to clarify...That was the reason for the 80/85/90E. Only threw the 85 in there 'cus Bowler Performance has a built 80E that'll handle 1000ft/lbs and the 85E handles 1200ft/lbs. Doubt I'd put that out, but insurance is always good right?

Thanks again for the advice.:cheers:
yes, insurance is good...but not that much is necessary, a stock 4l80e with just a shift kit should be good for around 700rwhp and with a vaccum modular it will shift pretty close to stock if its a DD. a built unit your talking about is going to shift very hard...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
a built unit your talking about is going to shift very hard...

Hard shifts = incorrectly built, valve body, clutch clearance, etc. It should shift firm with new clutches and no internal slop.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hard shifts = incorrectly built, valve body, clutch clearance, etc. It should shift firm with new clutches and no internal slop.
:gayfight:

yes, sorry i might have worded it a little wrong...yes it will shift firm and you probly wont like it for a DD application as much as just an 80e+shift kit...

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
90E is just a beefed up 6L80E as far as I'm concerned. We have no data yet as stated... The 80E with a built valve body, cooler, etc. Should hold more than your motor is good for. It's a tank.

85E's came in Suburbans and Avalanche. As far as trying to seek one out, spend your time elsewhere.
3/4 ton 'burbs and avalanches?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts