GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The combination of pulling my torque management 80k miles ago and my heavy right foot has caused my transmission's shifts to slow down dramatically. I added the Lucas stop slip stuff like Doc's old post recommended, and nothing happened. It looks like I'm going to need a rebuild sometime soon.

Do y'all have any recommendations for a transmission shop that does good work for a fair price in DFW? I don't need a fully "built" transmission, but if I can get some upgraded parts for a reasonable price, I would consider it.

·
14' GMC Owner
483 Posts
Check out Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, TX. I've heard some pretty good feedback about them.
Heard they are good from friends as well.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. I think I'm going to see what my friend at the local dealer can do for pricing first, but then I'll give Phoenix a call. I had heard great things about Ace Racing Trans out in Garland, but it sounds like he's so busy he doesn't bother with uninstalling/installing in people's vehicles.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

Greg at Phoenix wanted $2800 for his HD4x4 rebuild, Gilbert at Ace Racing Trans wanted like $4k and tried to convince me I needed every bell and whistle under the sun, GM wanted $3150 and wouldn't give a warranty, and AAMCO quoted $1800.

I'm going AAMCO. The guy in the shop seemed like a good dude, his shop is cheapest, they are giving me a warranty even with the lift and tune, and he's going to swap in all HD components for only $100 over the basic build. He's capping the build at the $1800 he quoted, so anything over that number he's not going to charge me for. He also said one of the local Chevy dealers sends trucks to him to have the transmissions rebuilt.

The final diagnosis on my truck is the 2-4 band is toast, and that caused a bunch of debris to end up in places it shouldn't be. I can't wait to have a fully functional truck on monday. :head2:

·
Registered
429 Posts
The way I see it an overhaul is an overhaul, unless your building high hp of course. When I did my last one I had a guy who would overhaul for 2500 with a 5 year 50k mile and another who would do it for 1500 but gave unlimited mile 6 month warranty on his work

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Update:

Greg at Phoenix wanted $2800 for his HD4x4 rebuild, Gilbert at Ace Racing Trans wanted like $4k and tried to convince me I needed every bell and whistle under the sun, GM wanted $3150 and wouldn't give a warranty, and AAMCO quoted $1800.

I'm going AAMCO. The guy in the shop seemed like a good dude, his shop is cheapest, they are giving me a warranty even with the lift and tune, and he's going to swap in all HD components for only $100 over the basic build. He's capping the build at the $1800 he quoted, so anything over that number he's not going to charge me for. He also said one of the local Chevy dealers sends trucks to him to have the transmissions rebuilt.

The final diagnosis on my truck is the 2-4 band is toast, and that caused a bunch of debris to end up in places it shouldn't be. I can't wait to have a fully functional truck on monday. :head2:
When you spoke with GM, was that for 1 of its Supermatic units?

peace
Hog

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GM didn't give much of a description. The service rep just told me it was a brand new 4l60e. I think it was just a basic transmission.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my truck back today, and I'm loving it. They threw in a corvette servo and went ahead and replaced my rear main seal for free. I went to check the flash speed on the new converter, and inadvertently laid down a couple black strips. :jester: It feels like a brand new truck. If anyone in DFW needs to get their transmission rebuilt, I highly recommend giving Bob a call at the AAMCO off Ave. K in Plano. :read:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts