GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started doing this last night. My truck's a 94 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. Not sure what the specific transmission is but it is an automatic. First gear sticks until I left off the gas, then it'll shift. What the heck is wrong with my truck?

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Will it change gears by shifting it manually? If it does then it might be a bunk shift solenoid; otherwise the trans is more than likely toast.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
making any odd noises? What does the fluid look like?...I think you have the 4l60e.
Nope no noises. I havn't checked the fluid, hell the transmission only has 25,000 miles on it it isn't even time to change the fluid! I'm going to check it when I get home though, just to hope maybe thats whats wrong.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will it change gears by shifting it manually? If it does then it might be a bunk shift solenoid; otherwise the trans is more than likely toast.
havn't tried. Do you mean start my truck in 1 then knock the lever up everytime I need to gear higher, like using a stickshift kinda?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Yes. Try and shift it manually from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and see if it shifts normally, like suggested.

Also, check the fluid level.

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
is it programmed? my hypertech made my tranny do this when i up'd the shift firmness so i took it back down and runs fine now

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it programmed? my hypertech made my tranny do this when i up'd the shift firmness so i took it back down and runs fine now
It has a hypertech chip but I don't think it's the programmable kind..
I mean its just there in the computer, you can't access it? Unless all you wana do is take it out. I think??

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
An old trick I learned was to get to a huge mall or school parking lot, fire it up, shift into reverse and floor it. Your speedo won't work, but get going as fast as you can for about 10 seconds.

Then, very quickly, drop the column shift lever down as far as it goes, with your foot still firmly planted to the floor.

This re-synchronizes the transmission internals. Clutches, bands, drums, etc. It also has been proven to un-stick frozen solenoids.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An old trick I learned was to get to a huge mall or school parking lot, fire it up, shift into reverse and floor it. Your speedo won't work, but get going as fast as you can for about 10 seconds.

Then, very quickly, drop the column shift lever down as far as it goes.

This re-synchronizes the transmission internals. Clutches, bands, drums, etc. It also has been proven to un-stick frozen solenoids.
I would love to do that.. but that doesn't sound too healthy for the truck! There's no way?? LOL. Explain.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I would love to do that.. but that doesn't sound too healthy for the truck! There's no way?? LOL. Explain.
x2 id like to hear more about that as well..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just asked my grandfather. He verified it. Also said that his brother (formerly a transmission mechanic) has done this to customer's cars before, then charged them for it! Hah!
BUT I DON'T KNOW if it'll fix my problem! So if anyone knows if it will or not, please speak up!

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
I just asked my grandfather. He verified it. Also said that his brother (formerly a transmission mechanic) has done this to customer's cars before, then charged them for it! Hah!
+1000000000 for Grandpa backing me up :worship:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
might as well try it. never hurts to try... plus if you mess the tranny up its already messed up so its nothin that wouldnt be replaced anyways.

denaliano, will this mess up a perfectly good tranny?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
might as well try it. never hurts to try... plus if you mess the tranny up its already messed up so its nothin that wouldnt be replaced anyways.

denaliano, will this mess up a perfectly good tranny?
I'm thinking definantly last resort. Maybe get the transmission man to look at it first, then if he says rebuild... well I'll give him something to rebuild!! lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts