GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
mine did this in my built 4l60 in my caprice. I broke alot of shit in it. The drum sheared ears off it and my packs were toast. Do not do what Denaliano told u to do, hes a bad man.....lol

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
:jester:

Ok, glad you didn't post back with pictures of transmission fragments all over the pavement.

Yeah, don't do what I said. That only works on Ford and Dodge trucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An old trick I learned was to get to a huge mall or school parking lot, fire it up, shift into reverse and floor it. Your speedo won't work, but get going as fast as you can for about 10 seconds.

Then, very quickly, drop the column shift lever down as far as it goes, with your foot still firmly planted to the floor.

This re-synchronizes the transmission internals. Clutches, bands, drums, etc. It also has been proven to un-stick frozen solenoids.
dont even try this now ihave only 2 gears left
I would love to do that.. but that doesn't sound too healthy for the truck! There's no way?? LOL. Explain.
rite it want work had all gears now I have olny 2 low and reverse thanks dude

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like a rebuild is needed. Drive it as little as possible.....
I had one go bad and I drove it anyhow, ended up messing up the sun shell and had to replace the whole transmission.
2nd one I dropped off at the shop as soon as it happened, it was cheaper to fix as they could reuse parts.

Number 1 recommendation I can give is not to get a cheap rebuild, you only want to do this once.

Recommend having a shop, I love doing stuff myself, but I am no transmission guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just started doing this last night. My truck's a 94 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. Not sure what the specific transmission is but it is an automatic. First gear sticks until I left off the gas, then it'll shift. What the heck is wrong with my truck?
Having same issue BUT I'll be damned if I'm shifting while trans gears are in reverse motion

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Having same issue BUT I'll be damned if I'm shifting while trans gears are in reverse motion
There’s an entire write up pinned that could have gave you the answer.im not sure why you chose a tread from 2016.

But Clutch packs are gone, as steels, maybe a spray broke. R&R. You can milk it along if drive it like a standard. But it needs a full rebuild.

·
Registered
40 Posts
having just experienced some transmission glitch, I have to ask, how was your
Curious, did yours also just start shifting or rather not shifting from 1st overnight too? or did it get progressively worse over period of time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just started doing this last night. My truck's a 94 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. Not sure what the specific transmission is but it is an automatic. First gear sticks until I left off the gas, then it'll shift. What the heck is wrong with my truck?
A failing tps could be the problem. Does it idle higher for a few minutes in cold weather?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts