GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the board and, just wondering if anybody can help me out. my question is, i have a 2001 2500hd with 8.1 allison auto, the problem i'm having is there is a noise which i think is coming from the trany.(its like a whinning noise/clatternoise) when the truck is cold it does it really bad. only when you take off and drive it. if you gas it it gets louder, it does this for about ten mins. then goes away. it will also make the noise even if you drove the truck all day and then shut it off for twenty mins. all thought it doesn't take quite as long go away. the truck had 36,600 miles when i bought it ,it now has 50,000 miles. the guy who owned it before me, bought it new and use to pull a trailer with about 9000lbs on it three times a week. i still have warrenty coverage for it but i would really like to know what it is before i take it to the dealer. i want to make sure they don't give me the shaft and try to tell me there's nothing to worry about . any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i forgot to say that this noise has been progressive. you could barely hear when i bought the truck, and its been getting louder and worse the the last couple of months. the trany gauge would never get above 190 deg. no matter if you were towing or just driving, now it gets about 210 just daily driving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trany has't been serviced yet . i know it should be . as for the engine pinging, its not that . i've had that problem before in different trucks and its not that. i tried using super unled. gas no change. like i said, it goes away after ten minutes or so. and then you wont hear it again until it sits for a while or you start it up the next day. also i just checked the trany fluid, its got a slight brown tint to it also.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
if it is still under warranty, you should just do what my dad did. right before the warranty was up in his sonoma, (like 59,900 kms) he took it to a local shop that he could trust (not a dealership) and got them to check it over completely they found 10 or 15 things wrong with it. (my dad bought the truck at 52 000) took the list of stuff to the dealership with him and they fixed it all.

turns out his suspension was royally fucked as my dad thought there was something wrong. he took it into the dealership before this though and they didnt say a word. sooo they fixed a whole lot of stuff and, just by paying this little shop like 150 bucks he saved himself a nice chunk of money down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the fluid does kind of smell bad, i've rebuilt a couple of th-350's over the past few years (only one was mine) and the fluid was pretty dark. this doesn't seem to that bad. i talked to my sisters neighbor tonight, he has the same exact truck just a year newer, his makes all kinds of noises (not the same as mine though) the dealer told him not to worry about it. its the 8.1 . he told me good luck getting them to do anything about it . thats all i'm worried about, the dealer not fixing the problem right. we are heading out to Canfield,Ohio the end of July, and i don't want to worry about the trany dieing on me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Good news is that if you bring it in under warranty, it dies out of warranty, fight em. All you need is the documentation you brought it in for that issue and it wasn't fixed. I got a couple head gaskets on my fiancee's old cavalier that way. Then ended up putting on a head after warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took out the truck today,haven't driven it for a couple days. its definetly is going into the dealer next week. made the appointment, will take it in mon.or tues. see what they say. if they don't fix it right, i'll drive it till its smoked. then they'll have to fix it . thanks guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts